Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audacity!?!?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ty_Boogie, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    Hi, I've read the stickies, and way too many posts (gave me GAS for some high end stuff) but me of little and /or no funds have downloaded Audacity.

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
    AMD 1800+
    1 gig of RAM

nice start?
    My first 20 tries were distorted horribly
    I finailly made one that was "ok"

I'm looking for tips on using this program

Mic suggestion, I already learned from reading the threads that I should have used "line-in", instead of "MIC"

also I have no MIC, I used a head set with a mic(eek!)plugged only the mic in, then hung it from a bass stand

all I want to do is to hear myself to improve my technique, nothing pro going on

Bass>amp> Mic in front of amp>sound card>audacity

I convert tha almost descent one to MP3, from a wave using switch, ended up 2MB and 59sec long

2. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Abandon the Mic. If you have an active bass, just run it straight into the Line-In (you'll need a female 1/4 inch to male 1/8 inch mini-plug adapter. If your bass is passive, see if you can acquire an inexpesive direct box or preamp and run that into the Line-In. Or if the amp you have now has a Direct Out/Pre-Amp out built into it, try running that into the Line-In on your PC. Using your PC headphone Mic is not going to result in a very good sound imho. ;)

Good luck and have fun! :bassist: