Audience member that wants to sit in.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SteveL54, Apr 30, 2012.

1. SteveL54

SteveL54

Oct 4, 2010
    Connecticut
    Sure......
    Bring your bass (or guitar) and plug right in.

ETA
    Crap.... I didn't realize the this was also posted earlier.
    Nothing to see here.....carry on.

Attached Files:

2. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    Love it.

There are enough weekly jam sessions to accommodate about anyone. Our band had the discussion. Not happening.

3. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Love the cord!
    I might go to Burger King for lunch,I wonder if they will let me sit in on fries for a few orders???

4. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'll have to get one of these. The very few times I have broken my rule about letting other people sit in I've been sorry. Unless I know somebody, they don't touch my equipment.

5. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

I used to play with someone who told people that asked to sit in that if you want to play on stage put your own band together, learn the songs and book the gig.

6. "Get your own gig" is a line I've oft said. Although sometimes we'll let someone try to sing. We tell them, "You get once chance to come in and sing, if you can't come in then that's it, ok?" Most usually wash right out.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    My sister and her husband were dancing at the Wort Motel in Jackson WY when this ultra-intoxicated old fart came in and wanted to sing with the band. They ignored him until the end of the evening, when they let him come up and sing. When he sang, everyone was stunned. It was Merle Haggard.

8. I actually played in a club once that had their own rule about customers sitting in with the band. They didnt allow it. We just kinda took that rule and ran with it. Unless we personally knew the person, we always said it was a rule "the club owner had" even if the club didnt really care.

BnB

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That will work until they say the previous band allowed it ;)

We allow it on a case-by-case basis. There are lots of good reasons to allow it, and good reasons not to. So it becomes a judgement call.

10. bassfran

bassfran Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Depends on the band/gig. Drunken tambourine girls can sometimes be fun. For a song.

Once, on a blues gig I had a guy ask if he could sit-in on bass. I asked him where his axe was- he didn't have it with him and wanted to use mine.

"Oh, is that your woman at that table over there?", I asked.

"Yeah", came the reply.

"So, you won't mind if I go over and make-out with her, right?"

End of discussion.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    At a friends birthday party a few weeks back we were singing karaoke at a bar. One of our friend decides to go sing some Black Sabbath. No one on Earth would have been able to tell that he was singing War Pigs, it was that bad. We all cheered him on as if he were a rock star, though. You know, just good fun. Later. he's rushing the stage anytime somone is singing something he thinks he knows, crapping over all kinds of performances. It gets around to my turn and Im singing the Animals 'Dont let me be misunderstood." Up he comes to join me, and about two measure in I just looked at him and said "Dude, you suck". The dejected look he gave me was hilarious. Ah, the things we do under the influence.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    That's great. We just say thanks for aksing but No. We did have a guitarist's mother ask to let her son play a song with us at a privite gig once. I knew the guy and he is a good player, he rocked the cover and the place went crazy..good times.

13. This past Friday I went to a bar to hear a blues rock band. I had been in the bar maybe 10 minutes when some guy walked up to me and said "Hey, I have my bass here if you want to play it. It's an Ibanez!!" (like it was the most awesome thing in the world) . I thought ***, who is he, and why is his bass here? After asking a few other folks about him, I discovered that I had met him at another bar a few months ago and he had recently taken up bass. When I later wandered to the other side of the bar, I saw his Ibanez Gio sitting behind the bassist's amp. As a side note, I have a Gio that has been modded and it sounds good, but I don't go around bragging about it.

About halfway through the night, the bandleader asked the guy if he'd like to get up and play a few. He did, and though his playing was passable, it was very basic and certainly no match for the band's bassist. I had to suppress a laugh when he announced that he would always be only second-best to the other bassist. Then he played another, and then another. Then he left the bar.

A little while later, the BL announced that since all members of the band I'm subbing for were in attendance (no, we didn't plan this; I live in a small town and we try to support other musicians), we should get up and play. The bassist asked me "Did you bring your bass or would you like to use mine?" I thought that was an odd question because I have never brought an instrument to someone else's gig. I borrowed his Ibanez, which was a nice SR-series model. If it had been a 5-string I would have offered to buy it. Anyway, we played 2 songs and then sat down.

After the show, I asked the bandleader what was up with Mr. I Brought My Bass To Someone Else's Gig. He rolled his eyes and said that he had made the mistake of offering to let the guy come up once, and now he expects to play at every single show. He had no idea how to stop it now, since the guy is apparently clueless about band etiquette.

I think this event served as a good cautionary tale about letting people get up on stage. As someone earlier stated, there are open jams in most towns. I recently found out that this guy (who I have never seen at a jam) is planning on attending the next show I'm playing and I predict he will show up with his bass in hand. I'm not thrilled about the idea of letting him plug into my amp and twiddling the knobs, but I'm also not sure how to handle it since I'm only a sub for the band and he made their banner.

14. marmadaddy

marmadaddy Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    BBox, if you're subbing just ask the BL to make the call. Not your problem.

I once had a guy show up during soundcheck at a gig in the mid-90's and proceed to tell me all about his new Wal.

I had no idea who he was, but I was only subbing with the band for a couple of months. Apparently he was a fan and had decided that I needed to play his bass.

He handed it to me, gushed while I played it a bit and said "Ok, I'll be back at the end of the night" and he left! Without. The. Wal.

The guy actually brought a Wal to a venue to be played by someone he didn't even know. He was just a fan of the band and liked my paying. I was flattered but totally creeped out. Didn't play it, didn't want to take any chances. He did show up at the end of the night and collect it. Weird, weird, weird.

15. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I play as bassist in a band that hosts a Monday night jam. One night this guy came in and watched us play a set or two, and mentioned he could sing a bit. By the clock on the wall, you can see it was close to the end of the night, and he had brought a lot of friends in with him, so we let him sing a couple numbers. He was pretty good. Didn't catch his name ... ;)

[​IMG]

16. Earache

Earache

Feb 3, 2012
    Denver
    ^Tom frikin' Jones!? So lol.

17. It's not unusual.

18. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Is that who that was? I should have asked for an autograph :eek:

19. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    wow... never seen that before. I got a couple of names I can think of. So simple. LMAO.

20. Best tb story ever, or worst lie?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021