1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audio Sampling? Software?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ChiefLongDong, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ChiefLongDong

ChiefLongDong

Nov 18, 2008
    Had no idea what to title this post.

I played with Garage Band on my wife's Laptop. I instantly found an onscreen keyboard that would let me select an instrument, and play notes using that instrument, and make music and whatnot. It was very cool. First, what is this called? Second, what PC programs will do this?

Are there any PC programs that do this that I could play with? Suggest both cheap/free programs as well as expensive/nice programs please.

Thanks

2. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    As another whit here stated...$499 for the program and you get a mini mac free. Seriously, prices are down, and while Macs are a high end product, there are good reasons for that. Computers that cooperate!

Time to break up with Bill Gates et al, and embrace your wife's mac. When she gets tired of you messing with her's maybe she'll get you one of your own.

Solve the interface dilema, and next thing you know your making whoopee with your bass, and whatever other instruments you have around, and a whole mess of cool loops.

I'm new to the Mac myself, but there is no way I'd ever go back. For a DAW the garageband is an amazing app.

Some of the other TB's have stuff done with garage band that is super cool.

3. It really depends on what instruments you were using. They can be sampled instruments, synthesized, or modeled. Sampled instruments use actual recordings of the instrument being played. The more samples (individual pitches and velocity layers) generally the more realistic the sound. Great for acoustic instruments like piano and drums. Modeled instruments use DSP methods to emulate the instrument (lots of math). Synthesized instruments use software to generate sounds using various synthesis methods. There are plenty of examples of everything from classic MOOG analog circuitry to FM to wavetable, and a lot of hybrid approaches.

Can't help you on the PC side, except that many instruments are available as VST's (plugins) and you should be able to find a good VST host by searching on "pc vst host". You will have everything from freeware analog synths to full blown sample libraries. Free to big $$.