1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Audiokinesis TC115-AF (Wide) V1

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by wrp, Dec 18, 2017.

1. wrp

wrp Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Price:
    $625
    Putting my highly-regarded Audiokinesis Thunderchild TC115-AF up for sale.

This is the original "V1 Wide" 4 ohm cabinet utilizing a custom Kappalite 15" woofer, which is no longer available. This is the "acoustic-friendly" version, with an additional rear-mounted tweeter to create greater ambiance and "three dimensionality." The cabinet features a four-port tuning system which allows you to tune the cabinet to the room, change the low end character of the cabinet, etc.

The latest version of this cabinet costs $1,150 plus shipping. Mine is in good condition cosmetically (nothing that can't be fixed with a sharpie) and excellent condition functionally.

This is a great price for one of the best boutique cabs around. I moved to a pair of TC112s a few years ago and the TC115 needs a good home!

Shipping extra. CON USA only

TC115AF-Front. . TC115AF-Rear.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Roccafella, emjazz and Dee-man like this.
  2. wrp

wrp Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
  3. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Great cab. Love mine. Lightweight too. Drummer friendly with the rear tweet!!

4. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have one of these, and love it - a classic!

5. nick333

nick333

Nov 3, 2012
    Can you compare this cab to your MAS cab ?

6. wrp

wrp Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    To my ears the TC115 has a flatter response across the frequency range and a bit more heft in the low end. Overall dispersion is very good, and the acoustic friendly tweeter adds a bit of air when the cab is close to a wall. In general, the TC115 sounds like a really good studio monitor and is responsive to any signal processing (EQ, effects, etc.) you throw its way.

The Bodai 112’s voicing sounds more “mid-forward” to me, which makes sense given the two midrange drivers and the vortex effect. The low end is very good, although I think the TC goes a bit deeper. That said, the Bodai 112 sounds punchier than the TC115. Dispersion is just amazing. The cabinet sounds the same from virtually any position in the room. The Bodai also seems to carry further into the room, which is great if you’re not in the PA.

Frankly, I’m a big fan of three designers: Duke LeJuene (Thunderchild), Mike Arnopol (MAS/Bodai) and Wayne Jones Audio. I’ve tried to find the best examples of each (TC112, Bodai 28, WJA 1x10) for me over the last few years and will be “thinning the herd” here on TB.

Hope this helps!

31HZ and Federighi like this.
  7. andyg

andyg

Jan 9, 2008
    I’ll trade ya a bodai 110

8. wrp

wrp Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    PM'd

9. UmamiBass

UmamiBass

Apr 14, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    How responsive are these cabs? I’ve had bad experiences with 15’s in the past, but they were SWR, and this is a very different kind of cab.

10. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Very responsive. And tunable via the pluggable ports and the switch. (I've got one)

11. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    How much does this guy weigh?

12. wrp

wrp Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Just under 40 lbs. It has the rear-firing "Acoustic Friendly" tweeter which adds about 1.5 lbs to the weight (37 lbs.) of the standard cab.

NG51 likes this.
  13. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Bump for this cab. Have the same one and love it. Sized perfectly to hold a rackmount head or a tube head. Quick and wide, very responsive to eq and signal processing like dirt. Great price too.

14. pmluthier

pmluthier Commercial User

Jan 15, 2018
    dba Patrick McCarthy, Luthier
    What's up with the tweeter on the back? I see white smudges on the perimeter, at the outside of each of three "spokes".
    Is it fully functional?
    Is the switch for disabling the rear tweeter, or some other purpose?
    How well does this cab support a low B?

Thanks,

Patrick

15. wrp

wrp Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick,
    The tweeter in the back is the “acoustic friendly (AF) option. It’s a rear firing tweeter that adds some ambience to the sound on stage.

The white smudges are from the adhesive used to hold the 3-pointed cap over the tweeter. The switch on the rear turns of the front mounted, horn loaded tweeter in the down position.

This cabinet can definitely handle a low B. Is quick, accurate and deep. I play Fodera 6 strings and they shine through this cabinet!

16. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Is this still available?

17. wrp

wrp Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Afraid not. One of my buddies wouldn't leave my house until I sold it to him!