1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audition for EMF

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by tlau5, Mar 8, 2008.

1. tlau5

tlau5

Mar 8, 2008
    Hello

I'm a fairly decent bass student who just auditioned for emf. I was principal all state bass sophomore year in Florida and my teacher said that I would probably get in to the camp. However its ridiculously expensive. Do any of you know how much emf or similar camps give to bass players. I played the eccles movement 1 and the dragonetti movement 1 along with the mahler excerpt and the wagner excerpt. It would be great if you guys can give some opinions on my shot. I made a few mistakes but it was overall an okay audition

2. tlau5

tlau5

Mar 8, 2008
    i meant scholarship money. I think I might qualify for some financial aid as well. Also are there any other camps that are worthwhile but not way too competitive

3. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Well scholarship and financial aid vary at EMF but they tend to be very generous. I met very few people who didn't receive anything while I was there and I was offered a full scholarship. They have many work study positions that more than half the students participate in as wells as a very large and generous pool of benefactors for their scholarships. Even if you get in and do not receive a scholarship, contact Melissa and the office and let them know that you need a scholarship to be there, they will work out something and get you as much money as they can. The EMF faculty is great and they play great music. I hope you get in because it would be a very enjoyable summer.

4. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I'm pretty sure that the EMF price is a ballpark range for festivals of that length that are non-fellowship programs. I went when I was a rising freshman and rising sophomore and didn't end up paying the first time because of a scholarship and work study combination and the second time for pure scholarship. I also wasn't near good enough to be principle in all state, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

If you don't end up at EMF, I will throw Idyllwild's name out. It's fun, It's pretty, It's a good orchestra, and it's not very long. I think this summer the rep will turn out to be fun (Mahler 2 [I'm assuming only the first movement] and Concerto for Orchestra). I'm sure any high-schooler will get into shape. Not to mention charlie is the man.

Brevard is also in NC. I've heard good things about it. could be fun.

Cannon is also in NC. Heard good things about it, could be fun.

NCSA also does a summer program. Heard good things about it. could be fun.

(can you tell I've lived in north carolina for too long?)

Check out Marrowstone. It's up in Seattle. I've heard some good things about it.

I'd also look at Perlman Music Program. A section member did it last summer and enjoyed it very much.

I dunno, ask your teacher for some other suggestions? All of the above seem like reasonable places to apply, although it might be a bit late in the season.

5. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Oh, and domain forget.

6. tlau5

tlau5

Mar 8, 2008
    Also, how competitive are the bass players at emf?

7. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    It varies from year to year, but they are usually pretty strong.

I think the biggest mistake young players make is going to a festival and getting all cocky and arrogant. Seating is very rarely an accurate assessment of a players ability. I've been in sections where it was a straight pissing contest for 6 weeks and it was a nightmare. Don't be that dude. Go. Play. Have fun. Get a low B extension so you can use it in the finale of firebird.

8. tlau5

tlau5

Mar 8, 2008
    I'm not cocky since I have no reason to be since I'm not great at the double bass anyways. The b extension probably ain't happening since its too expensive. I'm still rolling with my good old upton hybrid haha.

9. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    emf is gonna rock you!

10. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    The B part was a joke. . .

11. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    nah, b extension is mandatory. period.

jk.

12. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have an extension from KC strings that was like an eighth of a step sharp of being able to hit a low B before I replaced the C gate with a nut. I almost am wishing I hadn't, just for the out-of-tune low B novelty value.