1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audition help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Jan 15, 2012.

1. After too long I finally have an audition next week! 4 songs:

Long Train Running (Doobies)
    Blame It On The Boogie (Jackson 5)
    Georgiey Porgie (Toto)
    Moondance (Van Morrison)

I'm chasing any info on some theory behind these songs - key centres, scales, chords etc that may aid me in learning these tunes.

2. Let Google find fake chord on the song.
    Long Train Running by Doobie Brothers - guitar chords, guitar tabs and lyrics - chordie
    That will give you the lyrics to help with the beat -- one note per lyric word Doo-bie would get two notes as would Bro-thers - singing the lyrics helps with how many notes to use, i.e. is just roots all that is called for or do you need more of the chord tones. Sing the tune as you play, let the lyrics help with the groove.

Then find some YouTube on the Doobie Brothers playing and singing the song - play along with them.

Always helps to listen to the band you are auditioning for and see how they handle those songs.

Good luck.

3. I tried blowing the audition off but they really want me to try out this week now! Im at a loss why - I told them I'm not a chart reader, I don't handle surprise key changes well and Ive been a 4/4 rock guy for the past five years at least! If someone told me that as a bandleader, I'd thank them for their time and honesty and wish them well on their search!

When provided recordings from the band I'm auditioning for I avoid learning off Youtube because of the potential arrangements/tuning/key differences and while I tried applying your "follow the lyrics" suggestions, I had no success at all (of course I did try it with Paradise City by GNR after failing on the songs Im learning).

Once I get some coin I'm going to arrange some lessons as I can't believe I'm struggling to even identify the keys on these songs! Its borderline embarrassing.

That said I think Long Train is in G and Moondance is in A and I've been able to play along with those ones pretty well. Georgie Porgy Im working on today/tomorrow and I just can't get my head around Blame it on the Boogie - Its a quick line (to me) and I'm just not that good of a bass player to be popping and skipping along that chorus ... its a bit sad to realise that really :(

4. Sorry it did not work out. Perhaps it is not the right time, or the right music.

Keep plugging and good luck.

5. Dude are you even reading my posts? :)

I'm auditioning this Saturday after trying to blow them off last week, so things haven't not worked out yet (despite my best attempts) :D

6. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    It might be easier to learn the rhythm of Jackson 5 song using fingerstyle at first and then switching to slap later - if at all - once you have the main sequence down.

7. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    I wouldn't audition for a band like that. My response would be "You only have four songs???? Call me back when you have forty four songs".

A better audition would be, "Heres our song list (44 songs), pick 4 to audition and give us your list so we can pick four of yours so you can audition us".

8. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Long Train Running is in G minor. It's essentially a modified G minor blues:

Gmin7 | % | % | % |
    Cmin7 | % | Gmin7 | % |
    Eb7 | Dsus D | Gmin7 | % |

9. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I took his post to mean that the band has selected four songs from its larger repertoire for him to learn for the audition. That's a pretty common practice.

10. +1.

I would not audition for a cover group with only 4 songs down either :)

Ill try that advice on the jackson tune I am really dumbing my lines down to get a handle on them.

Sadly Im amazed how much this change has hi-lighted the many weaknesses in my playing.

11. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nothing sad about it. Now that you've identified a weakness, you can address it and use this an an opportunity to improve.

12. I think I do an OK job of this one when I know the key :)

Myspace Music Player

But any feedback welcome

:)

13. Yeah Ive already started scoping teachers out :)

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have a chart for Blame It On The Boogie if that's any use. I took it from a MIDI file of the tune that I found online. It's messy and far from accurate but it helped me to nail the changes and get through the tune pretty well.

Attached Files:

15. Thanks Bassybill, that will prove useful as I work through the tune!

16. niels125

niels125

Aug 11, 2011
    Just find some chords online, and practise with that :)

IF the chords are slightly off, or the band transposed them to a higher/lower note, just play it from there (song construction and intervals should stay the same, you just play it a bit up or down the neck from what you learned)

17. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    That short list is kinda all over the map isn't it?

18. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Long Trian Running has a distinct bass line. Something like G G C-D F G, syncopated from the C onward. (Sorry, I can't do all this computer stuff). The second G is up an octave from the first one. Anyway, listen to it, it's an easy lick.

19. Agent backed corporate cover band - not that uncommon for a group to cover such a wide range of genre's around here. I've played gigs where we were asked to do soft dinner music, then rocked the joint for 2 sets, then thrashed the last one out hard. Then got asked back to do it all again next week just to save the venue the "hassle" of bringing 3 bands in for the night ;)