Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audition last night.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I auditioned a band last night. They do a lot of the pop/rock I'm used to, so we played about 20 songs, and I got the gig if I want it. They've got a decent girl singer, doesn't seem too psycho, but you can never tell. The drummer's steady, rhythm guitarist plays too loud, and the lead guitarist just makes up any ol' licks. They practice about an hour from my house (during rush hour), a half-hour coming home. I have another audition next week with some other guys next week about 5 minutes from my house.

These guys last night are pretty good and well-rehearsed, but I'd be the best musician in the group, and I don't want that. So MOTL.

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I hear ya man.. Really, I do!

Sometimes you gota deal with it and try your best to influence them to be the best they can be. As long as your bandmates are open to criticism and ideas then it can be a good(learning) experience.

No comment on the long drive to rehearsal though..

DCat,

3. Sounds a little "beneath" you. Let it hover until you do the next audition and see what comes of that. Otherwise if you like the tunes and the band's got some gigging $$$'s coming up, then why not go for it for a while. You're under no contract to stay after trying some gigs out with them. Just give plenty of notice if you decide it's not working out. Congrats, on the audition.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

hhmmmm ....
    let's see ,
    drummer = steady ... ok , that's good .:D
    rhythm player = too loud ... that's not so good , but it is fixable .:D
    lead player = wanker ... maybe not so good :meh::meh:
    girl singer = not psycho ... good , but yet to be determined :D , :meh:
    band well rehearsed = good :D
    hour drive time to practice = not so good , imo :meh:

add up the smilies , and you get a fifty-fifty chance this might work out ...imo .

good luck at your next try-out !!

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Your situation sounds like it has some possibilities, the upside and downside are obvious. If they are gigging and had good contacts I would be more swayed to take the gig, as long as the more local situation does not pan out.

6. For me, if the drummer is fun to play with, I'm in. Unless there's psycho problems with the band... Are they going to be fun to play with, or annoying cause they don't do those tunes well? That's the ticket... Are they gonna want to practice all the tiem to "get better" and want to take up too much of your time?

Tough call. Sounds like not a waste of time, but maybe your time would be better spent elsewhere too, you won't be learning much from this situation. I'd rather be challenged than bored too. Better to not be the best guy in the band.

Randy

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Now today I got an email from a drummer who just left a country band asking if I want to start something up. He's in touch with a guitarist who's supposed to email me. When it rains, it pours.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Now today I got an email from the band that that drummer left. They're replacing their whole rhythm section, and need a new bass player. This is an established country band, with a set list very similar to what I played for 10 years. This one looks interesting. I listened to their demo, and they have a kick-ass pedal steel player and a pretty danged good lead vocal/lead guitar guy. I'd join just for the pedal steel. So we're going to set up an audition.

9. Munji, I hope this doesn't end up cutting into your witty banter time here. :eyebrow: We need you, man.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I love pedal steel! I sometimes get to play with a pedal steel player and I much prefer it to lead guitar. (Ummmm, don't tell my lead guitar player that ;) )

I would also join just for the pedal steel. Good luck!

11. +1 on that! Go check out the "steel".

12. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    I quit my gig 6 months ago and ever since I've been looking around. Nothing interesting is showing up.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, yet another band has called, and I'm going to go audition them tomorrow night. I talked to the guy on the phone for over an hour last night, and he seems pretty cool. This one is a pop/rock band with girl singer and two other singing guys. MOTL.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, tonight's audition was with two brothers who both play guitar, a good drummer, and a girl backup singer who does a few leads. They do the pop/rock/oldies stuff I like, and are good guitarists with very good vocals. We did about 15 or 20 songs again, and it went very well. They're tight and motivated. Fun guys, too. So they offered me the gig and I took it. They call themselves The Medili Brothers Band (being the Medili brothers, and all). Hopefully we can get something a little more catchy going like Silverback or something. So I got my gig. Now I have to blow off the first group that offered me the gig, and the country group I haven't auditioned yet, and another drummer/guitar combo I've been talking to. Yee haw.

15. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Congratulation Munji, I wish you the best and a lot of happy times with the new band. I hope it fulfills you musically.

OK, now let's get to the important stuff: How hot is the backup singer?

16. Sounds fun! Hope you get lots of work. (Help you pay off that new bass coming in!) Take care! :D

17. "They practice about an hour from my house (during rush hour)"

So, just what is rush hour like in Groom Lake? :smug: :bag:

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    LOL. It's Janets lined up on that 5-mile runway headed back to town. Most of them go to Vegas and Edwards. Mine goes to Palomar Airport in north San Diego County.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    My, what a coincidence. The country western guy just emailed me right now asking if I could audition Monday night. I had to blow him off. Oh well.

20. Probably lucky you didn't, because you're a "Total Hyper-Elite Member" and any bassist that auditioned after you would be in your overwhelming shadow.