Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

auditioned new guitar players.......

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Sep 23, 2003.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    We auditioned some guitar players this past week. The first night, one guy stood out a little. He said his rack unit was having problems and asked if there was an amp he could use at our space. We said sure. He shows up, you could tell he was nervous, he did ok considering he just got our tape the night before. We invite him back for a final audition this past sunday. We tell him we need to hear him through his own equipment. He walks in Sunday carrying a Soundesign home stereo speaker, then a effects unit, then a home stereo receiver. He proceeds to hook the guitar up the effects unit, then into the receiver,and into the speaker! When we commented on it, he said he had a 1/2 stack at home, but he hates bringing it out because it's so heavy! Needless to say, he didn't the gig.....

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Um yeah. Over to band management and performance.

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I dont get why he didnt get the place just because he didnt take his amp, unless he had a none legit' reason to not bring the stack.

4. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I don't know too many guitarists that would both:

A.) Be serious about the gig.

and

B.) Play guitar through a home-made box, and a Fisher Home Stereo receiver.

Wow..., so it's a guitarist on a budget. How could he play though? And if his half-stack was crap, could he just run direct from his effects unit into your P.A.? Sounds like he's just starting out and playing though what-ever he can get his hands on.....

He did prove one thing to you though, either he's got a bad back, or he's lazy. Both of which are tough characteristics to have and be in a working band.

:)

Good luck on your quest.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sounds liek the kind of clowns found on t-townmusic.....yes?

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If he was told the equipment was required for the second audition, he could have saved himself and you a lot of time by saying:

• I don't own any other equipment;
    • I can't afford equipment yet, but I can swing it if I know I have the gigs to pay it back with;
    • I'm forced to borrow equpment, but it is currently not available to me;
    • I'll need to use the PA and a practice amp.

Any one of those would have had a better result.
    You may have chosen to try to help him work out the gig if you liked him, but since he lied about having the stuff, 'forget it' was right!

7. To me, there's almost no excuse for a musician to not have gear. Maybe I could accept "My house burned down last night"....

A used guitar amp can be purchased at a pawn shop for $100 or less. If a guitar player can't do that, IMHO, they aren't capable of handling life in a band. Forget him, guitar players are a dime a dozen.

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Actually a dime a gross

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, I've used the identical rig at many gigs. It's surprisingly versatile and has excellent tone. Don't knock it if you ain't tried it. Face it, it beats the heck out of Mesa!

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Soundesign's only come with 15" speakers, Munji.
    You sure you want to admit to using that "rig"? :D

11. I've done a house jam through a ghettoblaster and it sounded fine. Serious!