Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audix ADX20i...hyper or not?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by RShew, Mar 25, 2005.

1. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I want to try out this Audix clip microphone. Anyone have any experiences or issues with the ADX 20i? It looks very similiar to the ATM 35. Any one a/b the two? I also notice that you can buy the microphone in two models, cardoid and hypercardoid. Which one would work best for URB? Thanks for the help.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I use an Audix ADX20i hyper. It works very well with DB. I have also used the ATM35. They are pretty much interchangeable in size, shape, design, flexibility and sound.

I don't know that I would be able to tell the difference in the two as far as SQ and response. It does seem as if I can run the Audix at a higher gain without FB, but unless you are A/B testing that in the same place at the same time, there's no really fair way to make that statement. I do know I can run the Audix pretty hot without problems.

I get the best sound with it just over the treble ff, 45 degrees to the table pointing inward.

My mic is the ADX20i hyper, but I actually bought it is as the Micro-D package. The only difference is the goose neck system. I have never cared for the pinch-style clamp of the ATM35 or the actual ADX20i. The neck is two short for any flexibility in usage and it doesn't really open that wide to be used in a variety of settings. They are great on a horn bell, but other than that, it's pretty limiting.

I was able to rig up a little system in just a minute or two that allows the Micro-D to be suspended from the back of the finger board. That way, I can position it over the ffs. I don't like the sound of the DB with the mic too close to the bridge. It pics up too much finger noise and when bowing, the sound is too stringy.

IMO, the woodiness of the tone comes off the table. With the mic suspended out on the edge, it is much more natural sounding.

3. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Chas,

Are you still using the Micro-D? Do you have any pictures of the mounting system you created?

Thanks,
    Ben

4. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    I'm using one too, and bought it as the micro-d package.
    It's mounted on a wood piece that's velcroed to the back side of the tailpiece, so it's easily removed. The mic sticks straight up between the bridge legs, pointed towards the soundboard. I'm blending it with a Revolution Solo. It sounds great.

The only other mic I've had any experience with is the golden bullet. Since it's on a different bass, it wouldn't be fair to compare them.
    Do you want pics?

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Yes, please.

6. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    OK, then.
    It's not pretty, but not too visible from the front.
    The mic clip attaches to a stick with a slot cut in it for one of the jaws, where the cable tie is.
    The red foam doesn't actually touch the table, but is for protection while travelling.
    Quite the contraption, eh?

Attached Files:

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My rig is very simple. I just cut a small block of wood and sprayed it black. I drilled a hole in the end to match the diameter of the flexible shaft that comes with the micro-D rig. A little vecro on it and the back edge of the fb and you are good.

It sounds good alone, but even better blended with the revolution.

If I wanted to convert it back, I can just slip it out and stick it back in the rim clip.

Attached Files:

8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Lost this thread for a bit. Thanks for the pics guys. It looks like the cable from the mic terminates in an XLR connector. That means that you can use it without the Audix phantom power box if your rig has phantom power, right?

9. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis