Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AUSSIE TBers... BDO '06

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chips, Oct 9, 2005.

1. gday badgers.

So i was wondering your guys thoughts on the line up for next years Big Day Out?.. And whos going?.... so far the line up isnt too bad, sorta indie/arty rock. Mars Volta will be sweet. I just hope they add a couple of metal bands to the line up in the next anouncement. with all the hype and rumours im a little bit let down, hopefully the next announcement will make it really good.

Peace
    Chips :bassist:

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sheesh. And here I was imaging BDo stands for Beer-Do 2005 when I saw the title.

3. BDO is slowly becoming less metal every year, at least the had Metallica the other year and Slipknot ... wait, what am i talking about, BDO usually has at least one good metal group. I don't think i am going though, I have hated it except for the above mentioned bands the last 2 years in a row.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If you like metal why worry about the BDO? (its not like Metallica or SlipKnOt are metal anyway).

In Sydney in the next few months we have, Children of Bodom, Nile and Arch Enemy....if metals your thing, there is a lot of it around Aus!

5. Metallica not metal??? *** :eyebrow: thats all I can say, that comment is so incredibly stupid it is contageous and I now am lost for words. :spit:

Edit: not attack you Mark, I just don't understand your statement, I have always regarded Metallica as one of the founders of Heavy Metal, but then again I am not into 'genre' so like i dunno what all this 'Nu-metal' 'postwhateverpunkmetalrockstuff' means.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sorry I was referring to the current stuff that Metallica has been putting out. Although I don't think they are the "founders" of heavy metal, they are certainly one of the bands that brought it into popular music. I also think that MoP and RTL and two essential albums in anyone collection, regardless of your tastes.

But - in terms of the changing of music genre's I would no longer classify what Metallica does as "metal" - if you subscribe to the "changing genre" sort of theory.

7. Yeah, Re/load wasn't metal, but i still liked it (please don't hate me) i loved St. Anger too, but I can't class it as any genre, the only problem I have with St. Anger is the snare sound. Cool, all sorted then :D haha, I am soo tired :oops:

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Appearing at all shows:-
    The White Stripes, Iggy & The Stooges, Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon, The Mars Volta, Soulwax, AFI, 2 Many DJs,
    Sleater-Kinney, The Magic Numbers, The Living End, Gerling,
    Dei Hamo.

Appearing at Australian shows only:-
    Magic Dirt, Cut Copy, End of Fashion, Faker, The Grates, Youth Group, Wolf & Cub,

Appearing in NZ only:-
    Fat Freddy's Drop, Elemeno P, The Bleeders, Che Fu and the Krates, Pluto, Frontline, The Brunettes.

OK who the hell are all these bands? I only recognise 7 of them, some of them just barely. Maybe I'm getting old, or my tastes are too commercial.

My experience in the past is that the bigger bands also do some of their own shows while they're in town. So if you like Mars Volta and don't want to sit through thr rest of the bands, chances are they'll be playing the Metro at some point anyway.