1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Australian Customs - RE: amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkydanbass, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hey All,

I just got confirmation that my Glockenklang Bass Art Pre is on its way from Germany. (Was made to order for 240v).

I justed wanted to know what I should expect from customs. Do they hit you with the same wait time and 10% as for instruments?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's not made of wood, that's good. It's electronic, that's potentially a cause for delay, depending who you get on the day. I suggest you set your expectations to worst case scenario. That way, anything better is a pleasant surprise.

3. Ok, thanks. So is there supposed to be a standard charge on these types of imports?

4. Hey Dan,

The following is an example of what to expect. I got advice from a mate when I was thinking of buying an amp from the USA a while back:

5% Duty on cost of item + shipping and insurance.
    10 % GST on item grossed up.
    Add broker fees if you use a shipping agent.

eg
    $1350 USD + shipping
    Assume Shipping $150 insurance $50
    new price US$1550
    AUD to USD exchange @86c
    AUD Price $1802.33
    Duty $90.12
    GST $189.25
    new price inc GST $2081.70

Also build in a contingency for broker/agent of around 10% grossed up.

I'd say.. worst case $2289.87

Hope this helps!

5. Cool. Well I've already paid for the item and shipping/insurance. It's just the GST that I'm concerned about. I tell you what that 15% really pisses me off.

6. Yeah It starts making your bargain seem expensive after a while. :(

7. Don't forget the $40-50 processing charge if you do the paperwork yourself ;)

8. Yeh! And for what exactly am I paying for?? Carrier charges I understand, but why should our government cash in on the fact that I had to import something that wasn't available in this country?

Anyway, rant over. Thanks for the heads up.

9. +1000000000000000000000000000000

I was GLAD my SVT2 came in at JUST under $1000AUS not including shipping!!! So customs didn't have ANY need for it, IT arrived at my door 7 DAYS after it was sent from Florida!!! It took LONGER to get from Sydney to Hobart than it did from Florida to Sydney--go figure???????? I've had similar situ's w/ many other things. HOW on earth can an item take 2 weeks to get from Brisbane to Hobart, while something posted in Kentucky USA gets to me in 5 days!!!!!!!???????????????????????????? AUS Post???????

10. Yeah I know, it sucks. What's worse is when you're a gigging musician and the government legally requires you to have an ABN and therefore eventually have to pay tax for. What the heck did the government do to help you to play music for an audience? What crap.

12. Oh jeez... If it didn't affect every working musicians livelihood in Australia it might be funny!

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    umm... if it were available in a store in Australia, there would be GST included in the price wouldn't there? What's the difference? Oh and GST is 10% not 15%. I'm starting to suspect you haven't done all your homework before pulling the trigger on this. That's something I don't recommend.

I haven't imported stuff for years but from memory the mathematical example given by Gruntollio Bass sounds about right.

14. I get what your saying. There is 10% Gst and a 5% Duty. I have recently imported 2 Fodera's an F bass and have an Azola Baby Bass on the way. I have done my research extensively in regards to additional costs on instrument purchases just not amps. I am prepared to pay the difference, (just wanted to get a ballpark percentage).

My statement about the GST stands regardless of whether it's on an import or local purchase. I haven't agreed with GST since it was introduced. I don't know about you, but I don't like paying tax on any and every thing I do so the governemnt can have a multi billion dollar surplus that barely gets back to the Arts.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's a whole other argument, one that I have with my client's all the time (I'm an Accountant by day). The GST is law, and it's here to stay. If getting out of paying the GST was a simple as buying from O/S, everyone would do it and all local businesses would go bankrupt.

Register for GST and claim it all back on your BAS. Depending on your circumstances, the extra paperwork can be well worth it, (but not always). Speaking of which, I've gotta do my Dec 07 BAS yet - it's due on Thursday. Thanks for reminding me :)

16. Yep, well that's my argument. (I believe I'm entitled to it).

I don't believe my current situation would assist in claiming GST back as I'm not actually working or earning any noteworthy income from music at the moment.

17. You could look at a good scenario. About 2 years ago I bought a GK 1001RB II brand new from the states. Got it sent USPS with the correct declaration value etc.. and I got charged no GST or import.. nothing. sweet!!

18. Well, we'll wait and see I suppose... There doen't appear to be much consistency with customs... Luck of the draw!

19. How is it being sent? By Postal system or courier?

Through the postal system its a bit hit and miss with fees but with a courier type you will get slugged.

20. Oh well, I guess I'll get slugged then. It's coming via DHL I believe...