Avalon Design

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Free Tibet, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    I was curious if anyone around here has any experience with either the Avalon VT-737sp pre/comp/eq combo or the bigger badder brother VT-747sp. I have read a few threads about their U5 DI, but couldn't find anything on these items

For the price and the reviews I've seen on them, it seems their worth every penny, especially the 747. It has killer specs and a true EQ bypass which is always a nice touch. They are meant mostly for recording, but I have seen some rigs with the 737 for live applications. Any input on either would be awesome. :bassist:
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Well, Avalon is up there at the top when it comes to audio quality. But you shouldn't buy Avalon unless you've also heard Manley, Great River, Millennia, Cranesong, etc. One of Avalon's competitors may have something more suited to your needs. I think you should contact a few dealers of high end equipment and tell them what kind of sound and what kinds of control you're looking for, and see what recommendations you get.

Personally, I don't think you can do better than Mercenary Audio.

What specific questions do you have?
  3. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Nothing too specific. I am just looking for bassist who have used it in either live or recording environments, and what their opinions are of it. I have frequented Mercenary in the past, they're good; and the Manley's are quite beefy, however a bit too pricey my blood.
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    You might PM Tommix on the Avalon I believe he has some experience with the big one. I hear their great, I own a U5, but their are some connection issues for live work. Tommix can fill you in.