Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon U5 with BLUE LIGHTS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Beets, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I've been GASing for an Avalon U5 for quite a while. Then today I was browsing Ebay and I saw where a guy is selling them with Blue led lights! That did it for me. I can't resist gear with blue lights on the front. I got my new Ampeg SVT-CL preamp a couple of weeks ago and when I first turned it on the Ampeg logo lit up blue. I was pretty excited. Then after about twenty seconds it turned bright green. So I got rid of it. I sent it back and now I'm waiting for a $500 credit to show up on my credit card before I order the Avalon. What I am wondering, has anyone bought gear from "Night Sky Sound" in New York? :eyebrow:

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yup, that's where I got mine. Decent price and the lights are neato too. They also included a nice Avalon T-shirt that fits me like a curtain :meh:

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have seen those also. If I get one, I want the blue lights!

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Don't sell it! I am on my second one because I sold one. Everyone I know who had one and sold it regrets it. Keep it.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, but you gotta get one with the BLUE LIGHTS! Mine has the orange lights and sounds like a$$.

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The blue lights are AWESOME. I bet they add more low end too.

Just messing around. I really do think the blue lights are cool, and I am an esthetics kinda guy :p

7. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I am so jealous of the blue lights! Mine has orange lights and so I can only get fiery tone, not cool tone

8. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    this thread just... :eyebrow: well it makes me laugh! :D

9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Blue lights make you play faster and with less mistakes. Four out of five dentists recommend them.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Wow. I guess I'm not up on the latest bass-amp-light-fashion trends. It looks like blue light is the new red light. Imagine when I show up at my next gig with my new amp head and it's got red, not blue. Heck, not even green lights...which were the new red before blue became all the rage.

Oh how the other bass players will laugh...just like that show where the bass player in the opening band had the same bass cab as I did. It was just like prom night when Mary and Sue wore the same dress. Humiliating...how they all laughed at me! To think, the lowly opener having the same 4x10 as me, the headliner!

:crying:

(now I kinda want blue lights too)

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    When I was a kid the "Blue Light Special" was nothing to be proud of..Hey on an obviously threadjacking note: anybody try the Toft Audio EC-1 for bass yet??

12. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Everyone here at TalkBass is so concerned with their sound that they spend half there life here discussing it to death, and here's a guy that just wants blue lights!

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Most of my gear has blue lights on it.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My Avalon only has one blue light, not quite is much low end as I like , should I trade it in for one of the good ones?

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I like blue lights so much I replaced the green lights in my Aguilar setup with a pair of blue ones. They look sweet now. :cool:

16. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Probably not a good idea to be posting For Sale/For Trade ads outside of the Classifieds forum... especially since you don't appear to be a supporting member. Non-supporting members aren't allowed to post classified ads anymore.

:bag:

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah; cough up $20 :p

18. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    My Aguilar DB 750 has blue lights . . . sometimes when I'm gigging the blue lights talk to me during songs. They tell me when to throw in tastey little double stops and such. I feel they have become a part of me. . . . . . . . . . . .

19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I can see that a lot of guys are stuck with the Avalons with the orange lights. It might not matter to some of you, but for the others who want blue lights there may be a fix. I'm going to contact Avalon and see what they think about offering a retrofit kit to change out the lights. They will probably insist that you send your unit in to their service department to have the work done. But that would be OK as long as it doesn't cost over say.....$100. The other possibility is to find the vendor that supplies the blue lights to Avalon and do it yourself. Although that might void your warranty. I'm going to avoid these headaches by just ordering the one that comes with the blue lights. And for you guys that think this blue light thing is some kind of joke, listen up. I've been playing bass since 1964. Rock, Jazz and even backing up folk singers. I have learned that the color of the lights on the front of your gear DOES affect your playing. When my gear had blue lights my playing was mellower, the lines simpler and more tasteful, and my overall playing style cleaner and more defined. When my gear had red or orange lights it seemed like I was playing a lot more notes and extraneous fills which didn't add much to the music. The same thing happens if I drink too much expresso before going on stage or, back in the old days, taking too many chemical stimulants before the gig. I've learned a few things in 41 years of playing and I know to avoid gear with red or orange lights unless you are playing fast Bebop Jazz. And for sure, avoid them if you are backing up some folk singers. ;)

20. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i wan an amp with BLACK lights!! :eek: :D