1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimmyplaysabass, Aug 27, 2007.

1. i've got this avatar 1x15 cab and it had three inputs, i think. because the back isn't labeled. i got this 200 dollars used. wondering if its worth anything and if anyone knows what the back does because all 3 of the jacks in the back work as inputs from my head.

i checked avatars website and i guess they don't make these anymore? either that or i just suck at finding them using the website

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Yes they are discontinued. Yes they are a great cab. Yes 200 bucks is about the going rate. All 3 inputs are parralled. That is , they all go to the speaker, but only use one power source. You are the owner of a very fine cab. Don't let anyone tell you different. What head are you using with it? Good luck on your playing.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I was never that impressed by the speaker that goes in them, but the cabinet is of large enough internal size to retrofit them with a better one, and that'll handle a lot more power without farting. And then it'll go pretty damned low compared to a lot of smaller-boxed fifteens - if that's what you want.

4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yup, I think a 3015 Kappalite would be the bomb in one of those. I've been lookin for a cheap one to give it a go.

5. i run a carvin red line r1000 head into it

6. and why are they discontinued?

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    I guess he wasn't selling enough of them to keep them in stock. 15's seem to be out of favor at present. Give it a year or two, and they will be all the rage again.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Frankly the first-generation Deltalite 15 Avatar was shipping in that box was an underperformer, and probably its sales were not that good either.

9. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    they used to have 18's too

but i bought a 2x12 from them to replace my old behringer 1x15/2x10 stack and havent looked back.

10. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    IIRC, that cab originally shipped with a Kappa LF. Right before it was discontinued, they switched over the Deltalight, and if I remember the rumor, they didn't sound as good.

I have one, and it sounds decent--I bought it empty (though with the horn and crossover) because I had an old 500 watt Carvin PS15C laying around. It sounds pretty good and loud, though I've always wondered what it would sound like with the Kappa LF. I always keep the tweeter off, because the old Avatar crossover wasn't as nearly as good as the current one. I should probably see if I can retrofit it.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Soulfinger, I'd go Kappalite 3015LF partly because it shaves weight but also in its wattage class its a superior driver and very affordable for that level of performance. But for my needs I'd also be wanting say an 8-ohm 210 so I'd have more upper-midrange on tap.

12. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    funny...i sold my neo avatar 115 to my guitarist because crossover burnt and replaced it with the neo 210. My guitarist wanted it for a subwoofer for his PA. He replaced crossover twice and got it to work before the neo speaker gave out. He then bought the kappa pro lf for it and now I want it back...go figure :eyebrow: