1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrendanH, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I am considering switching to either a pair of 210s to stack vertically or a pair of 112s. Either way, it would be Avatar. Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two rigs would be, sonically speaking? I was also considering the TB153 but I'm a little worried that something that transparent won't be as effective for playing heavier material of the stoner-rock/post-metal variety. If I'm wrong, by all means correct me!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Generally, 2x 210's will be louder than 2x 112's. Beyond that, generalizations won't apply.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm not sure I follow you here... :confused:

Isn't transparency and purity a good thing? At least from a foundation standpoint?

My feeling is that if you really want dirt and/or coloration, you can always add it in with signal processing gear... :meh:

MM

4. Well, I'm asking about two specific models, so I don't see why generalizations wouldn't apply.

5. I think there's something to be said for speaker coloration.

6. I have a TB153 that is great for clean tones but horrible for stoner/doom. The midrange driver simply does not play nicely with my Supercollider Beast.

I do use 2 Carvin BRX10.2's, stacked vertically that as far as I know compare somewhat to the Avatars.

The 2x 210's will most likely have more overall volume than 2 single 112's.

Hope this helps...

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd go with the 2 2x10's. If you are doing stoner/post metal I'd consider more cabs than this though. Why do you want a small/modular rig?

8. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have one of each, specifically a B210NEO and the SB112Delta LF (non-NEO). Both are well constructed cabinets and are very easy to transport. I've played them together, and each on their own. To my ears, I like the 210 better. I find the voicing of that cab works better for me. Can't really explain it. Hindsight I should have opted for two 210s. That would be my recommendation. 1x12 cabinets seem to be a popular configuration at the moment, however, I haven't had as positive of an experience with 1x12s. Sound great in certain situations, not so great in others. Some handle low B or higher volumes better than others You probably could say that about any cabinet but I've found more consistency with the 2x10.

9. Me and my guitarist are both have back problems that make larger cabs a bit of a pain. It's not a horrible issue though, and I'd overlook that problem for the right cab. Mostly I want to get away from the beaming issues in my 410.