Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sigbass, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    Well, I'm getting an Avatar 410, and, I want to get a 5-string shortly after I get my rig set up. I've heard that Avatar doesn't do lows well. Is this true?
  2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.

I would vote against the 410 for a low B. It just does not do well with much push at that low of a frequency.
  3. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    My brother owns an Avatar 410, and I had a chance to use it on a short gig (we got shut down :D ). I was using a Demeter preamp and a bridged QSC power amp, that runs at over 1000 watts into 8ohms.

I found the B on my Tobias Toby 6-string to be quite acceptable through the Avatar on that gig. It wasn't kick-you-in-the-gut like the other strings, but it was definitely solid, with not too much breakup (i.e., only slight perceptable rolloff). I have also used my brother's cab through his GK 800 RB, with my Matt Pulcinella 6-string, and it sounds even better (because the B-string is tighter).

Bottom line, if the B-string on your five is decent I don't think the Avatar will have too much of a problem reproducing it. At its price point, I would call its handling of the B quite good (that is, if it's still as inexpensive as when my brother bought his at just over $300).

Hope this helps.

4. From a purely "specs" position the B212 looks like a better stand alone cab. The B410 is not designed to effectively reproduce frequencies under 65Hz which is pretty much the third fret on your A string. Both the B212 and B115 will hit 50Hz which is slightly better (close to G... third fret, E string). This is probably why many guys dig the B212 or B115 in combination with the B210.
  5. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    The low B is over an octave below the lowest note the 4x10 can produce without significant rolloff. It will handle a B, but you're not going to really feel the fundamental. For most, this won't be a problem; the 4x10 is going to handle the overtones a better than the 2x12 and a LOT better than the 1x15. It'll also push significantly more air. If you're crazy like me and really want to have a solid B fundamental with no loss... good luck, you'd need to get a subwoofer of some sort or a very large cab.
  6. I just use one of these-

7. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I have one, and it doesn't produce a solid B fundamental. While I must admit that the low B sounds very rich on my Low B-2, it's not quite as deep as I'd like it to be. The -6dB loss at 31Hz is perfectly acceptable to most bassists, but I'm just crazy. I'd rather have it go just a little bit deeper... something like -3dB at 31Hz. The B just isn't as solid as the E is on the Acme, although it's certainly fuller than even an A on most bass cabs out there.
  8. axe

Feb 1, 2003
    Yukon Oklahoma
    I have an avatar 410 and play a 5 string and I am not pleased with the sound at all. the overall sound is just flat. Even on the e string. I want to get something else soon.
  9. i have a the avatar 2x12 and the 2x10 and it sounds absolutly great! i have never put 5 string through it but i bet it could handle it very very well. i dont think you wsould want the 4x10 you should really think about getting the 2x12 in 8 ohm and then latter get the 2x10 to put right on top of it.
  10. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    It depends what you're into. A 2x12 or 2x10 alone isn't going to be particularly deep, but coupled with it's respective partner it will be a bit deeper and a lot louder. The more speaker area you have, the more output you get. Avatars have very high power handling; if you have a big poweramp you can compensate for the cab's deficiencies by boosting the bass frequencies. I still don't think the Avatars are bad, but for those who want solid fundamentals, they won't do the trick. Just keep in mind that the overtones are what really matter... the Avatar 4x10 might not be as deep as a 1x15 or 1x18, but it will cut through the mix.
  11. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    This was my experience -- my power amp is rated 1300 watts bridged @ 8 ohms, and the rig sounded very good especially considering the price. Again the B was solid enough that I didn't have to back away from it. It didn't knock me over, but was certainly adequate for the gig.
  12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've had mine for 6 months and I've had absolutely no problems. The B sounds decent for a 4x10, nothing spectacular, sometimes my cab rattles a bit but it's nothing that anyone other than myself can hear. It's well worth it for 340 bucks, you can't go wrong. If you want more low end get the 2x12 but the 4x10 sounds really good and hasn't let me down yet.
  13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    what about a 410 and 115?
  14. The fundamental frequency of your low B string is 30.87Hz (people call it 31Hz). The Avatar B115 and B212 are both tuned at 50Hz which is pretty much the third fret on your E string. So to answer your question, no, neither the B410 (tuned at 65Hz), B115, or B212 will reproduce the fundamental frequency of your low B string. However, they can reproduce the first harmonic (around 62Hz) at a very healthy SPL. That means it will sound "loud" but lack "authority".

Most bassists ears aren't used to hearing the fundamental anyway so you'll probably never even know the difference. Avatar cabs are affordable and sound "decent" enough for the dough. I would choose the B212 over any of their other offerings due to the surface area, power handling, and tuning frequency. Two of those puppies and 800-1000 watts would make for one seriously loud rig.

15. skankinrabbit

Aug 26, 2000
    dannyboy - I can't help you out too much because whenever people start talking about hertz and harmonics or whatever my eyes start to glaze over and reruns of family guy flash through my head, but my rig is an Ampeg SVT-4 through a B410 and a B115, and I'm quite happy with it (scratch that - was ecstatic with it, but something broke on my head and I need to send it back for repair or something). I don't have a 5 string either, so that's another area I can't help you with. But the 4x10 and 1x15 combination make for clear tone over a fat thump, which is exactly what I was looking for. Only problem is the 4x10 weighs a ton. Some people I've talked to have been happy with 2x10 and 1x15, if weight is an issue.
  16. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    ^thanks last two posters, that really helps. I have a B410 and I am considering buying a B115 I was just curious on how it would work together. Instead of the B115 I was also considering a Carvin BRX18 so it could better handle the lows, i'm sticll stuck on what to get.