Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xpcapox, Jan 2, 2005.

1. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    Im looking for a good cab,preferably 4x10 to put my Hartke 3500 head(350 watts at 4 ohms/240 watts at 8 ohms)thru.I've heard Avatar thrown around on this forum and after seeing their prices and how light they are,im very intreeged.But how do they sound? and what 4x10 do you sggest,also,do you think I will benifit more from a 4ohm or 8 ohm amp? I play a 5 string bass and really need the low B. Thank you for your time and help.

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Avatars are really nice cabs. I have a B212 and an SB115, both 8 ohms. If you plan on adding another cab later on then get an 8 ohm 4x10. If one 4x10 is all you want or need then get the 4 ohm - it also depends on the handling capabilities of your amp. It's your choice. You might also look into the Neo version of the 410. Aside from it being a lighter cab, all of the reviews I have read say that it handles lows better than the Delta. Same goes for the Pro version, except it's several pounds heavier than the Delta and Neo.

Let us know what you decide :)

3. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    what do you mean by handeling capabilities of my amp? and how will this effect it?

4. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I own a B410 Delta, and it's a very nice cab, however for a 5-string I would suggest the B212. My girlfriend has a 5-string bass, and has a B212, and the 2x12 can handle her B-string much better than my 4x10. But I prefere the punch, and clarity of the 4x10. If this is the case for you, then get the 4x10 with the Kappa Pros.

And same thing above, if you plan on getting another cab, get an 8ohm cab. I made the mistake of getting the 4ohm, and now I want to get a 2x12, but I can't until I sell my cab, and buy the same cab, only in the 8ohm version.

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Call up Avatar and see if they'll cut you a deal, they seem to have a very reasonable customer support.

6. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    I like the punchy and heavy sounds,i play everyhting from funk,to blues to metal,so versatility is a must.

7. my new b210 and b212 are both sweet cabs. Only thing I could gripe about is how harsh the tweeters get when you turn them up, but that's easily and cheaply modded.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think you would really benefit by doing some research on Avatar cabs. There are hundreds of threads here at TB about them. Now, there is another one. :rolleyes:

-Mike

9. I believe what he was saying is that you need to plan carefully when choosing either a 4 or 8 ohm cabinet. Since your Hartke runs optimally at 4 ohms load, you'll need to decide if you plan to run ONLY one cab or two. If you know you'll only run ONE cab, get the 4 ohm cabinet. This will allow your amp to achieve its full rated wattage. If you plan to try to run TWO cabs together off this amp, you'll want to get 8 ohm versions because when you run them together off that amp, they'll be run in parallel, which drops the load to the optimal 4 ohms.

Just remember.. you cannot rewire these cabs later, so If you buy a 4 ohm cab, you won't be able to safely run another cab (even 8 ohm) with that amp.

Mag...

10. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    Thanks for all the help so far. I htink I'll probally go for the 4ohms,wil 350 watts be enough to run the cab?

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yes sir, you will be just fine.

-Mike