Avon Lucas and Steve Sidley

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by funkyherbivore, Jun 6, 2004.

1. As the search function didn't return a single result on these fellow bassists, it's about time to give some credit to these great players.

Lucas and Sidley both perform with Annie Sidley. You can listen to some of her material in MP3 and RealAudio formats here . The bass playing on those songs carries an amazing groove factor, which compliments the great singing. Steve Sidley can lay down some badass grooves.

So far I have only seen Avon Lucas play live, and I can tell that you shouldn't form your opinion based on those Benavente NAMM clips, that's just him fooling around. :bassist: (here's by the way one of Lucas' basses, a Conklin 9-string http://www.conklinguitars.com/cc/avon92.jpg)
    The best word to describe his playing would be 'unconventional' and apparently he is completely self-taught on bass.

Please, if you happen to find a complete biography on either of these players, please post a link here. Additional samples of their playing would be nice too, but unfortunately these guys are a bit unknown as for media coverage - if you, nevertheless, happen to find something (anything), please post it here!

And please do familiarize yourselves with their work. It's worth it (whatever IT may be...)
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Avon is a monster!!!

He's got a Benavente 9 built or being built

Here is some vids and sounds from the Benavente NAMM booth last summer Video Link 1 sound from vid 1 Video link 2 Sound from Vid 2

[edit] oops... re read your post and saw the *not NAMM* reference :meh: I found his noodling impressive. [/edit]