1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Awesome elrick NJS on bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greg, Nov 29, 2006.

1. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's very atypical for an Elrick- odd number of frets, different pickup placement, Seymour Duncan pickups, etc. TBer todd4ta purchased it off of eBay about a month ago, but it arrived with the crack now listed on it so he returned it.

I like the looks of it, but worry about that crack being over the control cavity where the wood is the thinnest.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    interesting. I bought that NJS back in Feb 2005. The crack occurred while in transit to me. Because of that, I returned the bass to seller. The sound wasn't also that great to my ears also, a little bit thin.
    I'll see if I still have pics of the crack I took at the time.

4. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    eeh oh well thought it looked cool sans the crack.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Not the least bit surprised... that's been my experience with every Elrick that strayed from the basic package Rob uses. Then again, maybe it's a concidence.

What preamp is that? It looks like it's installed in the (kind of) Fodera knob position, probably to go along with the pickups.

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    there is no space to slap....tisk tisk.

im not really digging the look of it too much at all.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The room between the end of the board and the neck pickup is an issue for me too.

8. It would be perfect, if only it was fretless.

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    If I recall, the preamp is a Bart 3-band just laid out in a Fodera style. One of the switches splits the coils on one of the pickups (bridge I think), the other pickup isn't split.

I bought the bass off ebay. The pickups were listed as Aeros, but they turned out to be Duncans (for better or worse). The crack wasn't visible in the pics and wasn't mentioned in the description. That's why I returned it.

I spoke with Rob Elrick about this bass and he knew it pretty well. Every time it comes up for sale or changes hands he gets calls on it because it's unique. It would not be an easy repair to fix it or keep it from cracking further.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    This is still the coolest NJS I've seen:
    [​IMG]

It also has a fretted twin (top cut from same block)- they're owned by two friends up in Canada.

12. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx

eeeeh if you like that sorta thing...:D

i played one like that, well kinda like that. It was the regular shape but was a 6 string with a pink ivory fretboard, nut and bridge. It was also a sem-hollow walnut body. Actually the only thing that was the same was the spruce top and the one pickup bet eh whatever. I thought it was great. I bet that one of yours sounds killer too.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I didn't before I got it... now I do. Funny how that works;)

I saw a regular Elrick styled semihollow fretless similar to what you described with a flamed Maple top and pink board. almost pulled the trigger on that one but it seemed redundant... yet not as unique

14. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx

That was it! I forgot it was flame maple and not spruce. My bad, as always i could be wrong.............also ;) . It was a really really terrific bass. Totally not my thing though. Hey at least the brubaker i posted was good hehe.