1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

awesome gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bazzy, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Bazzy

Bazzy

Oct 23, 2007
    Hi All --

One of the service clubs where I teach (high school chem.)wanted to put on a faculty "talent" show for charity. I try to support the students, and charity, so I let it be known that I would play bass for whoever or whatever wanted to participate. I had a lot of takers, and a fantastic time.

One woman who had never sung in public asked if I could get some folks to back her doing Walking After Midnight, Patsy Cline stlye. The dude I found to play guitar for her insisted on doing Jailhouse Rock as well. Working with a nonmusician is ummmm. . . interesting. Still, the students loved it. The guitar player also wanted to do I Know a Little by Skynard, which took just about all my chops. Thats a rockin' bass part. Then the physics teacher (a fantastic homebrewer, by the way - I love rehearsing at his house) came on and we did some crowd pleasers, some of which I hadn't heard before. (sorry top 40 radio.) We did Far Away, Hey Jealousy, a rocked out version of Knockin' on Heavens Door (which I learned on stage with the guitarist signalling me the chords) and Stacey's Mom. Yes, the most appropriate possible song for a bunch of guys to play at a high school. LOL. The kids went nuts! A bunch ran up to dance on stage! What a fantastic gig, and we raised over $1000 to give the special needs kids a prom.

Rock and roll, and thanx for listening,
    Bazzy

2. You did a very cool thing..2 thumbs up

3. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    +1 to Awesome for helping people out and giving bassists a good name. :D