1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Azola Bug Bass II

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by grooveguru, Apr 15, 2006.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Anyone have experience with one of these? I just picked up a used one. Mine looks like this one.

[​IMG]

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Nice bass! Congrats...

What do you want to know about? I have the original model with one pickup.

My favorite strings so far are Helicore Hybrid light gauge. String choice makes a difference in these basses. Some have too much bottom, others are too twangy.

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Well after fighting with an upright the last 6 months this will be a treat being able to be heard, no feedback and no twister matches trying to get it in doorways. :p

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I got the Azola and was very impressed with the build quality! Plugged it in and within 30 seconds had an outrageous upright sound.

After contacting every dealer in the country trying to locate an Azola in stock to no avail I recieved a call from Jill Azola who was sick in bed at the time with the Flu telling me she had located 2 used basses and gave me the contact info. How's that for customer service?

If you can find one check it out! :hyper:

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    You will find no better customer service than that of Steve and Jill Azola. And the Azola basses are IMHO the tops as far as American Made Quality instruments. I wish I had never sold mine.

6. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Is She Really Going Out With Him?

7. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I've used my Azola Bug Bass II on 3 gigs this week and I have to say that it totally exceeds my expectations. Killer sound and playability (action adjusts via neck tilt in about 30 seconds). Came with a great Gig bag. I ordered the Stage Stand and got it shipped cross country in 2 days!!! Great instruments and Great Customer Service!

8. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I'm using my Bug in a pit orchestra (only pizz) this week. It has done nicely and made the job of fitting into a tight space much easier...excellent clarity and bottom, too.

9. Can anyone compare this to the NS Design bass? There is one of those local that I have played and I love the way it plays. Does the Bugbass have a similar feel? I found the CR very easy to play.
    Thanks.

10. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I've seen and heard, but not played, the NS Design and have played a Bug for about 5 years. I'd think they'd be quite different instruments.

The Bug is about as simple as you can get, especially the older models. Simple elegance that approximates the URB experience, with the bout in the belly and the adjustable endpin. URB-style bridge, URB BassMax pickup. Just a passive volume control on the older ones, although the newer ones have multiple pickups and active electronics. You have to hold it up and play it. Which means you can move around as you play.

The NS Design is tripod mounted, at least the ones I've seen. That makes a big difference in playing the instrument as a URB, because you don't engage it the same as the Bug (where vibrations are actually transmitted through the belly bout). The NS also has the mag pickup option and active electronics.

Both are well-built, good sounding instruments. The main things that define are how they feel to play and their signature sounds.

My own preference is for the Bug, partly because that's what I've played, but partly because of the more organic feel while playing that helps you play like a URB.

11. Actually, the one I am interested in has a tripod stand and active electronics. What I really want to know is if the fingerboard is similar. I like the 42" scale of the NS, the Bugbass is 41.5", so that is similar. The lower strings on the NS made it very easy to play. I played upright briefly many years ago, but I am primarily an electric player. I love the feel of the full scale EUB, and I like using upright hand positioning, so I'm not looking for a short scale EUB, just one that is easy to play. Thanks.

12. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    The action is adjusted with an allen wrench and takes about 30 seconds via the back of the neck. Extremely easy to play. Go for it! It's the twin of mine. The stand isn't attached so you can lift it out and move around!

13. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Here's mine:

[​IMG]

Love it to death!!!

14. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I love my original BugBass. I've modified it- it now has an internal preamp- andI'm experimenting with making my own bridges and pickups- but underneath all that is Steve Azola's excellent design and craftsmanship.

A friend had the NS, and while it's a gorgeous instrument I didn't care for the way it sounded and I didn't like the neck- it was more stretched electric bass than upright. My friend tried one other highly regarded EUB and ended up with an Azola. (And then finally sold that after he bought a real UB)

15. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Could anybody compare the bugbass to the Zeta Strados? Especially in terms of punch.