Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B string on a 33"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rabass6, Jul 2, 2004.

1. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    I need some review on how a 33" scale can handle a B string, my Fodera Imperial is tuned EADGC but sooner or later, when the right nut will come, I'll give a try at Beadg tuning, so I need some advice\second hand experience from you
    Thanks

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Whats it made out of?

they made me a 33 inch scale impierial that was all ash and maple neck . the B was crap. they made me another bass.It's a lincon Goines model with a 5 peace ash and purple heart. It has a Great B string! MUCH better then the 34 inch scale lakland Five I have.

Aj

3. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    Italy
    Owner, Groovemania.it
    My Imperial has a maple neck, so you feel like it's the ash that give the B a better sound?
    It's interesting...I've also read that the newer Goines bass has a different pickups placement to help tighthen the lowest strings...

4. I honestly doubt that a 33" scale can deliver a tight low B. That's why for me only 35" and up.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey Andrew-
    Is the new bass 33 inch scale as well? Did you return the old bass and get the new one made free of charge?

Jared

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Yes.

I'm not really sure. But I do know that the new one is stiff as hell. I think its a combination of factors.

Mabye its this I dont know I do know that I kept saying Build me what Lincoln Plays.

Aj

7. I really don't think there is a 'set in stone' scale length for B strings.
    Case in point, In the late eighties (yeah, remember when we were all playing 6 string basses?, Ha!) I had Alembic build me a short scale (30 3/4") six. And that bass had a kick ass B! I used a .120 on it. Recently, I owned a Nordstrand w/ a 33" scale and it had as much goin' on with it as does my 35" Lakland. Go figure...