Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B string on a 4 string bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Apr 19, 2005.

1. In order to get the low notes 5 strings have as cheaply as poss, I was thinking of stringing a 4er BEAD.

Are there any tensioning issues? It would done on an acoustic, so it would have a wooden bridge. Presumably the only other thing to worry about would be filing the slots in the nut to make room for fatter strings.

Note too that I'm not bothered about the acoustic sound, but am bothered about the amplified sound.

I fear I'm being daft, but 5 string ABGs are thin on the ground in the UK, and those that are available look dull.

2. If you search the forums ull find plenty of talk about BEAD tunning, people do it all teh time, you will probly need a new nut.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yes, for electric bass guitars, but I didn't find anything for ABGs. Definite nut problem, either file it or buy a second one for when/if you decide to switch back, and you may have some filing to do at the bridge as well. What kind of bridge does your have?

Ray