1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B string sounds dead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    This is interesting...

When I play my May custom short scale bass through my Mesa Subway D800+ head and 2 Trickfish SM-112s, there is a noticeable dip in volume on the B string.

If I put my Warwick LWA 1000 or Taurus Quebec 450 on the same cabs the problem goes away.

When I play my May custom short scale bass through my Mesa Subway D800+ head and 2 Bergantino HDN112s, this doesn’t happen.

Any idea as to why his could happen?

2. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    What's your experience with this issue for note E1 on the B-string versus note E1 on the E-string?
    You may also want check (and tell) the difference of F#1 on B-string versus F#1 on E-string.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  3. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Using the Mesa/Trickfish combination, notes on the E string ring true. Not tes on the B string do not.

When I switch to the Mesa/Berg all notes ring true.

4. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    ok, so let me ask you the next question. What is your prefered sound and how do you adjust the EQ, respectively the EQ knobs?

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I wonder if possibly the cabinet (or one of your speaker cables) is wired reverse polarity? Sometimes (not common), polarity can matter in that if the pickups are microphonic the sympathetic vibration at that note's frequency can subtract from the energy generated by the string.

Have you done the "battery test" with each cabinet?

6. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Both the bass and the amp are set flat.

7. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    The problem doesn’t happen when I use my Warwick LWA 1000 or Taurus Quine 450 head on the Trickfish cabs. Only with tha Mesa.

8. That is an intriguing possibility. I don't see that microphonic pickups would be a requirement though.

For simple system polarity fudge there would need to be a change in cabling to account for the various outcomes I think.

Amp A + Cabs A, no cigar.
    Amp B or C + Cabs A, all good.
    Amp A + Cabs B, all good.

One bad daisy link not used on the A cabs with B and C amps perhaps.

9. See above. What connections are used in each case?

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Try 1 cab at a time and see if the sound changes drastically when you add a 2nd cab. But try each cab individually first and see what happens.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  11. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    3882FAFB-8C3B-4AD9-B6AA-D94CB91AEB8D.
    You may have solved the problem!

When I use one of the Neutrik connectors from the Mesa and daisy chain the cabs I hear the issue.

When I use both Neutrik connectors and connect one to each cab, the B string is present.

Thanks!

12. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    So if I understand your words right you have turned all the EQ knobs at noon just to get a flat response no matter which amplifier you are playing?

13. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    It Seems like the cable that you used for daisy chaining reverses polarity. Did you make the cable by DIY?

14. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    That is correct. I always like to get a sense of what the basic tone is before turning knobs on the head or the bass.

15. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    All cables purchased from Sweetwater.

I don’t think the polarity was reversed. Did not have the same problem with the other heads.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Interesting! Has to be something weird with the 'out' jack of the first cab then.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  17. Not the cable but the daisy connection panel. If it was the cable the problem would follow the cable everywhere.

18. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    So just a bad jack?

19. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I don't think the jack is bad.

The Mesa works fine with the daisy chained Bergantino cabs.
    The Warwick works fine with the daisy chained Mesa cabs.

I found this in the Mesa manual:
    The amplifier incorporates a pair of SpeakOnTM NL4FC connectors wired in parallel that mate with either NL-2MP or NL4-MP plugs. Cables using NL-2 plugs contain only 1+/1- terminals and will always be correctly wired for use with the amplifier, but cables using NL4 connectors come with different wiring configura- tions. If using cables with NL-4 connectors, they may be constructed with standard 2 wire cable and they must be wired 1+ to 1+ and 1- to 1-. 4 wire cables are fine as well, terminals 2+ and 2- are not used. The cables to avoid are what are called NL4 bridge mode cables, which are typically 2 wire, and wired 1+ to 1+ and 1- to 2+. These SHOULD be clearly marked but sometimes they are not, so be aware of the possibility.

20. not adding up with this...

which is it?