1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B-string to match my current set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 92FIGMO10, Apr 14, 2010.

1. 92FIGMO10

92FIGMO10

Jul 9, 2009
    Hey, I've recently purchased a 5-string Peavey Mellinium bass. On my 4-string, I use D'addario Medium Gauge Chromes (.105-.50) so when I got the Peavey I went ahead and put the same strings on it and purchased a .132 B-string to match.
    The problem is that the B-string does not fit through the bass's string-through body or through the bridge. After fiddling with it for some time, I realized that it was very close. Close enough that if the silk on the ball end of the string was gone, it would slide right in.
    Is there any harm in removing the silk? Just a innocent question...
    I looked to see if a smaller gauge B-string was available from D'addario, but there isn't. What other manufacturer might be able to supply me with a B-string that would be similar enough to not stick out like a sore thumb and be a better fit for my bass?
    Any other potential solutions are welcome.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Another solution would be to ream out the hole to .150 - plenty of meat to hold the ball end and would give you latitude.

3. jscomposer

jscomposer

Nov 25, 2009
    Yeah, I had the same problem. Try Sadowsky. Their low-B comes in 125 or 130 and it's tapered (which you may or may not like).

4. 92FIGMO10

92FIGMO10

Jul 9, 2009
    Would this be something I could do myself some how, or would a professional have to do this for me?

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    You ought to be able to come by a reamer that will measure accurately - if you go slow and only ream out enough to let the string pass you ought to be able to do it yourself.

6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Just take a razor blade or exacto knife, carefully, to the silk. It will be fine as long as you don't nick the outer wrap.