1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B15N Reissue...disappeared?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Sore_Fingerz, Sep 9, 2008.

1. I saw them on Zzounds and Musicians Friend websites a while back but some time ago they got discontinued (i guess). My question is, WHY? :bawl:

I see the hybrid combos, but they aren't near as cool and aren't all-tube (which is just awesome when it concerns ampeg stuff) so can anyone shed some light on this? Were they trying to keep demand high for it or something? I can't imagine why they would stop selling something as awesome as this classic amp setup :help:

2. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Noticed that too -- I'd guess it was due to lack of popularity. After all, with everything getting tiny, more powerful, and cheaper, I'd imagine less of a market for old-fashioned, low power and fairly expensive. I did think it was great that they were reissued and upgraded power wise. But just guessing, I can understand their disappearance in response to the market or lack thereof.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The B-15R's disappearance was because of being $2000 and ridiculously heavy, IMHO. You could get an SVT-CL and 810 for $500 more. And word on it wasn't nearly as favorable as the older ones. Plus, I can't imagine flipping a 100w amp is nearly as easy as flipping a 25 or 50 watter. Ampeg needs to do a standard reissue of it and not try to reinvent the wheel with an amp nobody wants. Do the exact circuits and speakers, price them reasonably, and they could probably bring several Portaflexes back, not just the B-15N.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Find a used V4BH head. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same amp they put in the B15R, as they both came out around the same time. Add a 15" cab of your choice, and you have essentially the same amp, minus the blue diamond covering, and ability to flip the head into the cab.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    And roughly 1000.00 less new when it was available.

You can get a V4BH for around 600ish used and a SVT15HE for around 250.

850 get's that same type of setup.

I was lucky and found a reissue fliptop for 750 used from a guy that didn't want it anymore, and it wasn't loud enough so I sold it.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Jimmy, your 100% right on.
    Let get on it, Ampeg?

7. How about this idea? Go to Low Down Sound
    http://www.lowdownsound.com/customcabinets.htm
    and they will make you a custom fliptop cabinet with your choice of everything...give them a nice all tube head of your choice and they will work out the details for you.
    Personally I'd go with a THD bivalve..that seems like it is pretty similar to the original head in terms of power output.
    http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_bivalve30.html

So for a bit less than Ampeg was asking for it's B15N reissue (as I recall they were around $2500) you could have a totally custom rig..it would be considerably less if you picked up a used amp, perhaps an SVT or ? And it would still have the "fliptop" functionality!

One other option I gotta mention is just mating a great tube amp to a Euphonic Audio whizzy 12. Killer combination..or even better, use 2 whizzy 10's!

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Not bad?
    I heard "Lowdown Sound is closing?
    Also the B15R sold for $2000.00 not $2500.00

9. My mistake on the pricing. I know nothing about low down sound closing, but could be I guess.
    My last thought on this....for about $1000 you could buy a nice vintage B15, maybe not an N, but a fliptop nonetheless, or a B18, which I have one of.
    then you'd have the real deal!

10. Well first off thanks for all the responses, it was a genuine question that I searched the forums for and found zip on =/

I'd be lying if I didn't say that part of my reasons for wanting a reissue of the B15N (or anything resembling it) was majorly aesthetic. True, an SVT-CL would have more power and such but the fliptop head just looks soooo cool, in addition of course to having wonderful ampeg tone in a decent volume (not earth-cracking like the SVT). The look is neat and the blue lights/cab got my attention because my band has this thing with the color blue (gimmicky band stuff). When I heard Chris Joannou of Silverchair at the Meridian in Houston, he had 3 of the new ones lined up on stage and they sounded KILLER...another reason why I've been GASing for one.

I appreciate the suggestions for other rigs and will most definitely check into them. If I can't have the look for now, I guess I'll settle for the tone lol :bag:

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'm the former owner of a '63 B15N. "Former" because, although it sounded, well, like a B15N, it was heavy, fragile, low-powered, and you had to flip the stand-by/on switch with the tip of your finger to avoid electrocution. Did I mention that replacement transformers cost the earth?

The sound was absolutely iconic, but I got 99% of it from a solid state B100R (apparently now discontinued) that allowed me to run from the line out into a channel of the PA, had over twice the power and less than half the weight.

I bought the B100R after I found I could no longer lift the B15N over the sill into my Toyota Matrix after a gig, alone.

It was great for its time, but c'mon guys, this is 2008! I now have a Hartke solid state head and 115 cab, and it's lighter, more reliable, and much more powerful.

12. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a V4BH, but I really prefer to buy my stuff new as I tend to have bad luck with used stuff =(

I just don't get why they would discontinue the V4BH? I guess people figure they need a massive powerhouse of an amp if they are buying something "tube". Although I must admit that I felt like my Traynor YBA200 didn't get loud enough at times during practice, but more than likely I would use a V4BH live and my GK Backline at practice.

Would it be detrimental to the tone to use my GK Goldline 2x10's and 1x15 if I did get an Ampeg V4BH? It was pretty good with my Traynor but I felt it could've been better with some nicer cabs. Again, thanks for the thoughts and advice =)

13. I recently picked up a mint V4BH and SVT15E. Really dig the tone and power of it. Either way, you won't be disappointed with the B15 or V4BH.

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I truly love me B15S. The tone is just plain wonderful and I honestly don't find it all that difficult to move. (Normally I roll the amp but if there is lifting involved, I carry the head and speaker separately.) I've not done any gigs with it but have done some rehearsals and jams and it seems to do just fine. At 60 watts I figure its about half way between the B15N and the V4b (which is my gigging amp). And if you're fortunate enough to play with musicians who are in control of their stage volume than I figure its just a matter of sticking a microphone in front of it rather than each guy fending for themselves.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    While I kind of agree with your assessment of the B100R (I'd put it at 90%), the day I replace my B-15 with a Hartke is the day I retire.

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    BAHJAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good one Jimmy.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I was serious.

:spit::p:eyebrow::D

Hey, I can't say anything about people who downsize. I've got a Markbass combo and an LMII.

18. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I know you were.

19. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    It's all about the weight. Since I'm no longer gigging as a bass player, convenience rules...and the Hartke rig sounds fine for the occasional church anthem.

When I traded in the Ampeg, the local music store owner said, "man, that sounds a LOT better than my Ibanez bass amp!"

Hope to shout, as a friend of mine used to say.

But I needed other gear, and I'm trying to pare everything down to a few light pieces that an old guy like me can manage.

So, I guess, when I replaced my Ampeg with a Hartke WAS the day I retired. :D

20. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    The LMII done killed it.