B7K or Alpha Omega for Praise and Worship

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nathan Miller, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Nathan Miller

Nathan Miller

Dec 14, 2019
    I can’t decide which pedal to get for my P&W pedalboard. The Elevation worship bassists love the AO but I see Hillsong's bass player uses the B7K. I just can’t decide.

I can only fit one of these two on the board at the moment so can’t keep both.

2. JT Foster

JT Foster

Dec 27, 2014
    O’Fallon, MO
    The B7K seems more versatile from what I’ve heard. Both are great, but the Alpha Omega seems more distortion focused.

Kind of nuts to think of the darkglass sound with church music.. When I hear darkglass I think of deathcore lol

Nathan Miller likes this.
  3. Nathan Miller

Nathan Miller

Dec 14, 2019
    Yeah i was pretty surprised as well, but also stoked. These pedals rock!

4. english4bw

english4bw

Feb 5, 2011
    Worthing, UK
    Just my two cents...

Whatever overdrive they're using is probably only for their own ears either through an amp onstage or in-ears. I highly doubt that an Elevation or Hillsong FOH soundperson would want your pedal affected bass signal coming through the mains. So just go with whatever pedal YOU like the sounds of, for yourself. It's most likely that the congregation are never going to hear your affected sound when you play large mega-church halls or arenas. Sound people will want the cleanest PRE signal you can give them, through a really decent DI box. POST signals are usually frowned upon at that level, other than a bit of drive or compression, maybe. But even then, the FOH usually like to control all of that in the mains.

Just enjoy the pedals, but don't expect anyone else to hear them. LOL ;):D:cool:

5. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I’ve owned both. The alpha omega seemed for fizzy to me, and I like the ability to switch between the two circuits. The B7k was more useable for me in a band setting though. But it is more scooped tone overall I thought. Can’t really go wrong with either though

6. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Having used both, I can say the B7k is the only distortion pedal that's stayed with me for years. I don't play the style of music you're inquiring about, but I can tell you the B7k is very versatile. Most demos and artists I've heard use the sort of overplayed Nolly DG tone. If you don't cut the low mids and boost the high mids/treble, it can actually produce an amazing ammount of sounds! Even turning the drive all the way down, but still on, and engaging the bite/bright switch produces a very nice tube like saturation. This in my opinion is sort of like a secret tone a lot of users don't display. So it really can go from subtle saturation to all out chaos, just defending on how you dial it. Don't be fooled into thinking it's a one trick pony, just because everyone tries to make their pony to sound the same! The AO is nice too, but in my opinion it doesn't quite have the same range.

Nathan Miller likes this.