1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baby sued for copyright infringement.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7599921.stm

Wow, dude. Just wow. Also dude.

2. I'm glad they are really sticking it to the right people

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    +1

That is just plain stupid. Any video with people dancing to a well known song should then, using the same logic, be removed. :rollno:

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Oh man, Prince just went down a notch in my book.

In reading the article, (and unless Prince releases his own rebuttal or denial of the claims made) it sure looks like he had Universal initiate legal action.

The artist formerly respected. Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    If Van Gogh were still alive, would he want his "Starry Night" printed on my credit card? Probably not. Same principle.

Yes, Prince is a bit wonky, but he created the music, so he has every right to control who uses it and how.

6. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I disagree, he does have the right to an extent but ultamitely it lies in the hands of ASCAP or BMI. Prince cannot say "I do not like this radio station, I do not want my music played on it." If I buy his CD I will play it where and when I see fit.

7. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    hmm, i wonder which brings more good promotion for his music...a cute baby singing his song, or his purple lawsuit.

i understand why he's so protective, considering his history and what not...but he's acting really Ulrich.

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    You have limited rights over the music you buy. You can listen to it pretty much anywhere, but you can not broadcast it without permission. YouTube is considered broadcasting.

Radio stations have permission to play songs, and they pay the artist every time they play a song.

In this case, they are being stupid, of course. They should fight against abuse, but this is not abuse.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I thought one could use up to 30 seconds of a song without paying for it.

10. Do we have to burn our Prince albums now?

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    No, it's not the same principle. We're talking about a short video of a dancing baby, posted on the Internet for the heck of it--no one's making any money off of it. If a Prince song was used in a credit card commercial, of course the artist should have the right to control its use.

12. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    Yeah, I thought you could use a certain amount of a song under some sort of "fair use" or something.

13. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Copyright is a good thing, but there should be some common sense behind the copyright laws though. This is far from common sense, damn it's free advertising for Prince!

14. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    such clever ambiguity!!!! :bassist:

15. +1 :rollno:

16. maryjstar89

maryjstar89

Sep 9, 2008
    Oh gosh, it's just a freakin baby...isn't it good for the artist if someone plays your song...I mean that's your fan why would you want to piss out your fan? Stupid...

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I heard a story about Prince, now I'm not sure where it is, maybe someone with more time can dig it up. I guess a group of musicians were getting together to make a tribute album to him. Prince caught wind of it, and sued the record label recording it, and IIRC, he sued the musicians for their recordings too.

18. That's a textbook doosh-bag!!!! :mad:

19. I say we all put on Purple Rain, dance in diapers & poo ourselves in protest. Who's w/me?

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Right behind ya buddy. You go first. ;)