1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bach's Suite 1 - Prelude

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Geddyleefan30, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Geddyleefan30

Geddyleefan30

Jan 21, 2009
    I believe that title is correct for what I'm looking for. Anyways, I recently found this video on youtube.:hyper:

I'm wondering if any can dig up any tabs ( it does not have to be the same way he's playing it ), or sheet music. At this moment I can't read sheet music, but this alone makes me want to. :p

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The music is available anywhere sheet music is sold. I'd recommend buying the book with all the suites in it - it's great music to improve your bass playing.

That version however.....awful.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You got a PM.

4. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada

i think thats a much better version.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    That one is awful too!

Why do people insist on playing Bach like a sequencer?? Those pieces are not meant to be played metronomically!

Listen to a master:

6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    +1. Yo-Yo is the man.

7. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH

Here's another good one!

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This one's a bit closer to home:

I've tried playing it on electric bass myself, after learning it on cello as a teenager. Upright bass, forget it. My thumb position isn't good enough. In my view, nobody has figured out how to make it sound musical on electric bass, while the closest attempts have been those who play it like one of the classical guitar arrangements.

I think other parts of the Suites might be more accessible to electric bass. The 2nd Prelude is playable, and not as much of a blood sport to play.

9. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    This guy isn't too bad!!!:D

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

10. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I thought that was pretty bad, actually. That intro - what was going on there? Sounded incredibly laboured and not at all fluid.

11. Ritter

Ritter

Nov 5, 2009
    Hello!
    I'm looking this tab, please send on my e-mail adress this tab on bass.

adress: themascarade@o2.pl

Thanks!

12. boonefiddler

boonefiddler

Oct 12, 2006
    Central Iowa
    Hi - I transcribed this to the key of C for four string bass, and added tab after I figured out where on the neck I was going to play it. Here's the tab link:

http://www.swensongs.com/bachpreludeinc.pdf

Here's a video of me playing this version:

13. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm actually surprised by how many people play this in G on bass. I have the "Edition Peters" book of the Bach cello suites transcribed for bass and the Suite 1 Prelude is in C major.

14. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I learned this piece as it is, just by watching the video, so you don't really need tabs or sheet music to learn it. Its kind of a raw version, and more musically "pleasing" interpretations are around, but as a warm up exercise its great. Jumps, slides, barring notes, a great way to practice your muting skills etc. Avoids the more traditional open string fingerings. Can't do the final few measures on my p-bass though......its too high at the end!