Back in the Saddle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldrocker, Feb 19, 2005.

1. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    After about 15 years in it's case under the bed, I have an opportunity take my bass out and play agian. It a G&L L1000 bought new back in the early 80s. The bass is in pretty good shape for it's lack of use. It seems to play better than I remember, as this bass had some E string fret buzz back in the late '80s.

To my surprise, not only is G&L still is business, but they have a web site where I was able to buy some replacement hardware for my bridge.

A couple of questions:
    1) is there anything wrong with someone well past 40 learning the bass line to Iron Man for the 1st time.
    2) The tuning pegs are a bit tarnished and the finish is a bit dull. What can I do to get my bass back into shape?

Did somebody say "Keep on Rocking"
  2. One of the true wonders of being a musician is that it never leaves you, its not a fad that you outgrow - its a deep seated part of who you are as a person.

being 40+ is no issue, you probably will play more tastefully and have a well developed sense of the world of music (though this is just my opinion)

i started playing when i was 9 and haven't stopped, but i am a wiser and more balanced player since I hit my 30's

man, go for it!! love it, be it, and just enjoy what you feel when playing your bass ;)
  3. and as far as cleaning up your G&L, I find that taking it to my local repairs/setup shop is the way to go. Spend a little cash on it, tell the setup person what you're after and they will do a great job.

i have to send the highest praise to our Adelaide setup shop, Fretco. just had them do a general setup on my Jazz and they went over and above what I had asked for - they truly respect each instrument that comes into their shop.

Hey,Prophecy - agree or not mate?
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    A while ago, I started playing all those old Deep Purple songs that I used to love. What then happens, but I buy a Gov't Mule CD (I almost wrote album) and what's on it but Maybe I'm a Leo, with Roger Glover playing, no less.

Great old music and great old bassplayers never go out of style. Welcome back, the music's been waiting for you.
  5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Welcome Back!!!

I did the same thing. I played mid 70s- mid 80s, then went to school, got married, had a couple of kids, and 14 years later started playing again when a drummer friend needed a bass player for his newly formed band. Once I started playing again, I was hooked. I don't think I'll ever give it up again like that. Too bad I did for so long.

Enjoy, and play what ever you want! Most of all, have fun!
  6. sabb0

Feb 24, 2002
    hi old rocker. what you wanna go and kill all your mojo for? leave the bass as it looks ;)
    people pay good money for what your about to clean off
    its earned its dues with you, wear it with pride
  7. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. I'll try not to kill off any mojo, but I did install the new bridge hardware. The bass has nice intonation now and the sting height is just right. Check out the before and after pix.

Attached Files: