1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Back To BASSics.

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by BassmanI, Feb 24, 2013.

1. OK, ok. So I made a pun on words, but here we go. For most of the 30 years I have been a bassists, my focus had been with the electric bass. As a long time musician, it helps to evaluate your technique to determine if you should "stay the course", so to speak, or to have your entire approach overhauled. I've gone as far as I can go with my current playing style, which has mostly been from an electric bass approach with some fundamental training on the Double Bass. Since I have acquired such an animal, I've decided it's time to take my musicianship to the next level. Starting this Saturday, I'm beginning formal lessons with who is considered to be the best Bass educator in the area, Paul Zapalowski. My goal with him is to totally overhaul my approach and go back to the basics. Then translate that into my jazz playing. Looking forward to it.

2. Bump

3. Had my first lesson and already I'm beginning to see a difference in my approach. Granted I just got schooled on my bowing as well as my left hand posture, but it's a great start.

4. It's good that you got schooled. It would have been quite sucky if you diddn't get schooled after paying for a lesson, no? ;)

Working witha teacher learning the classical way is a great way to improve your technique.