Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Backing up files, individual recordings

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thwackless, Dec 12, 2003.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm entering the nutty world of virtual recording, and have some good help around, fortunately. But it's still a catch-as-I-can kind of a pursuit, so I have a question about the best way to back up my work so it's not just sitting there on the hard drive, like a little duck paddling around on the wrong pond, waiting for a spray of buckshot (a crash or some other disaster)...

I'm getting a Tascam US428 USB interface, and a computer with ample capacity and speed, CD-ROM drive, and an internal burner; so I'll be condensing files (that I can open back up- for work in progress, etc) onto CD's. But, is there another format whereby one may save work, with actual individual tracks represented, rather than a compressed file? Am I talking about ADAT?

Thanks for any informed input,
    Rog.

2. Do you mean you want to save the actual recording session, complete with all the individual audio tracks and settings, and not just a stereo mixdown of the song? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I've understood your question.

If this is so, then it really is as simple as saving any file. Depending on what software you'll be using to record your sessions, it will probably be a case of simply saving the session file onto your hard drive first (file -> save as), and from there you can simply copy this file from your hard drive onto a CDR using your burner.

When you save a session file, this will save all the individual settings within that particular session, such as track volumes, EQ, FX, etc., which will be brought up again when you open up that session.

When you save your session you will also want to make sure that any audio files you are using are saved along with it, otherwise when you open it up again you'll have all your setting but no audio to work with. This will probably be done automatically when you go save the session, but with a couple of programs you will have to do a couple of steps to make sure that the audio is 'embedded' into the recording session. For example, when you use Protools all the audio is automatically saved into an audio folder for you, whereas if you use Cubase SX you have to do a couple of steps to make sure that all you audio files are saved along with the session, though this is not at all difficult. Do you know what recording software you will be using yet?

Hope that this was what you were after.

3. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Hey, that was great! Um, no, I don't know yet, though I think it'll be cooleditPro. Or Cakewalk. And I think it's going to be Soundforge for mastering, etc.

One additional question: Do I need a separate (outboard) mixer for recording to hard-drive? Even if I'm using a Tascam USB interface?

Thanks for your help, that was quite concise, and yes you understood my question.

I'm reading a pretty good book on the whole thing, though I don't remember the exact title. My head's a blur. Written by a very plain-speaking, knowledgeable dude, evidently.

Ok, I'll be around asking more questions...thanks again.

Rog.:bassist:

4. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    BUT,... to give someone else a mix, or even individual tracks that they cam mix down in an analog format, what's the best way to go? I thought ADAT would work well for this purpose, esp. if it's only 4 or 8-tracks.

Rog.

5. Glad to be of help so far.

For giving someone else a copy of your recordings it kind of depends on a couple of things:

Firstly, if the other person has the same recording software as you have then you could simply burn a copy of your session (including the audio files remember) onto a CDR and give it to them, and they can then simply open the session up on their computer.

If they haven't got the same software as you then what you can do is burn all of the individual audio files onto a CDR (as wav files), and then they can import all of this audio into their own recording software programme.

These two options so far are if you want to give your song to someone else to re-mix. If you just want to give someone a stereo mix then just burn your stereo mix onto a CDR.

I would say to forget ADAT for now. ADAT is a digital 8-track recording system which looks a bit like VHS video and is actually an entirely different method to record music than computer recording software, so since you're getting a computer based hard disk recording system you won't need an ADAT set-up. Also, they're not that common, at least with project studio set-ups they're not, so the chances are the person you want to give your recordings to will likely not have it (I may be wrong). If you've got a computer based recording system then the easiest and cheapest way to copy your sessions and audio is simply using CDs.

As for your other qestion about mixers and that, I really should have asked you a couple of questions last time, so I'll do that now before I go into that:

Firstly, what type of recordings are you looking at doing. For example, is it just to record the odd bass line or guitar part, or do you want to record full band stuff and record full drum kits?

Secondly, what kind of budget do you think you are roughly looking at, not including your computer budget (which you may already have anyway), but your budget for recording equipment?

Cool Edit Pro is good, it is a very user friendly programme that is ideal for someone who is just getting into computer recording. I haven't used Cakewalk so no comment. If you were still undecided on that front and looking for suggestions then might I suggest Cubase. Cubase SX is a really really good programme, and they do a cheaper version called Cubase SL, I haven't personally used that one myself, but I think it's basically the same as SX, it just has a few less options that would probably not be needed by you anyhow, and I guess it would be around the same price range as Cool Edit V2. As for mastering, maybe look into Steinberg's Wavelab. I've used both and, although Soundforge is good, I personally find Wavelab very user friendly when using to master and it also gives good results.

Right that's about it for now, hope I didn't blab on. Actually, there's no point in saying that because I did :D

6. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    A'right,
    Well, I'm looking at: Bringing outside analog sources into the software program for mixing/editing (maybe digital too); recording live rhythm sections, overdubbing tracks; mastering.

I've got some experience recording in a studio, and some mixing, etc too. So I'm going to be negotiating my way through all that in my limited space ok.

Budget is for now done. I've got: Tascam US428 controller/interface; computer with about 60 Gigs/512 MGHz RAM. Adequate viewing monitor (will be able to "see the whole board"); and some EV monitors- a little bigger than near-field dimensions, but they're free!

I'm going I think with CooleditPro, and I believe it'll be Soundforge for mastering, etc. I'm getting help over here, but I've still had questions and everyone works "day jobs" (incl yours truly), so I have to bug people for info when I can. Anyway, this sound basically right to you? The back-up question is for the benefit of a friend of mine, so he can take work away with him and do his own mixes, but he has only a 4-track casstte machine (albeit a good one) and a live mixer. I thought ADAT might be a good medium to use in a low-tech application- for that shade-tree engineer...maybe not?

The cd's of individual tracks sounds like a viable alternative. Good idea. I'll make him mad, though, loading him down with discs! Hope he doesn't lose any!:eek: :D

Thanks again, Hobbes!

Rog.