1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Backline 300W with 410 cabinet.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbster56, Aug 13, 2012.

1. kirbster56

kirbster56

Aug 13, 2012
    I'm a bass newbie, and have an opportunity to buy a used GK Backline 410 cabinet and the 300W amp. Is it worth it. or should I keep looking?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    It entirely depends on what the asking price is, the condition of the equipment and the funds you have available.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 How much? The amp is pretty good for a budget model, but the spkrs are not the best. It is entry level gear, but you could do much worse. if the deal is good, then it's a good deal.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    IMO, the Backline is a good amp. Tone, power, "oomph", etc. is towards the topend of "budget" stuff and comparable to some stuff you might not consider budget gear.

The speakers?....meh...you can do better. I'd take the amp and pair it with some other used, better quality cab to make a gig rig.

Good points from BassmanPaul re: price, your budget, etc. How loud you need to get is another. It can vary a lot, but in general, a 300 watt amp and typical 410, 212 or 215 is a gig level rig. There's always bigger/louder, etc., but you're beyond practice amp/coffeehouse type stuff there and into gig rig territory.

5. I use the Blackline with a nicer cab and i think it does a great job for what it is. IMO The head it self has some ups and downs. I will tell you that the overdrive channel is garbage but if you use a clean sound or pedal based effects you should be fine.

Remember a Great speaker cab can make an ok head sound great. A bad speaker cab will make the best of heads sound like your beating on a trash can full of angry cats