1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Backup amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fettbass, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Hey guys. I currently play mainly through a Fender Bassman 300 pro head. Not the most recent super bassman, the model prior. It's a great head, and seems to have a ton of clean headroom, and most importantly, a ton of heft to the lows. My band is planning a tour and I've gotten to the point where I need to consider a smaller backup head in case the fender goes down. It's gone down twice in the year and a half I've owned it, once from a shorted power tube ( I had a tech retube and balance/bias at that point) and once when a fuse rattled loose. Nothing major, but not exactly something I'd want to deal with while on the road. I currently use a genz benz shuttle 6.0 as a backup, but it really lacks that authority and heft the fender has. Are there any micro heads that can compete with a big 300 watt tube head through an 8 ohm 4x 10?
    I once ran a fender tb1200 through the same cab and it sounded great, but at around 40 pounds, I can't exactly toss that in a gig bag And forget about it.

2. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Carvin BX1500 or B2000. hardly anything can 'Replace' a big wattage tube head but another one

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    +1, I was going to suggest either one of these heads, also. Great bang for the buck, but, definitely not something you can shove into a gig bag. However, if you are on tour, you want protection anyways, and these two heads can be rackmounted into a lightweight backup rig, no prblem. I use the BX 1500 and could'nt be more happy with it - a very versatile head.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The shuttle 6.0 is a unique case, since it was voiced to optimally work with the little Shuttle cabs (i.e., the hi passing was set quite high, giving it a bit of a thin tone through a full range cab (yes, you could somewhat fix that with the lo boost, but not really).

I would consider an Aguilar TH500. Big, fat low end and punchy mids, uber reliability, and impressive 8ohm performance (although it ain't gonna keep up with a 300 watt tube amp). The little TH350 is even smaller, same exact tone, and would definitely 'get you through a gig' as a backup. Really first rate stuff, and that nice fat, 'non hi fi' Aguilar tone.

The Aguilar bag is actually great and offers great protection. Just throw it in the car or truck and there you go!

5. G-K MB800 (560 watts rms @ 8 ohms, just under 700 burst) huge punchy sound from a micro. The Ampeg PF-800 seems so far to be stable.

6. SVT 7 Pro. Decent watts into 8ohms and lots of authority. Always ran the low boost.

7. The carvins mentioned above have always caught my attention tho.

8. The carvins look intriguing. How's the reliability track record on them?