1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad Habits

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stoob, Sep 11, 2008.

1. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    I was at a gig in front of a lot of people, first in years, when at the start we were sitting down, and then it happened... My left leg was moving violently up and down without any thought or control from me :hyper: :confused:

I have since noticed that generally bass players who sit down often move their (usually left) leg violently whilst playing too.

Keep looking out for this phenomenon...

Anyway, does anyone else have any bad habits whilst playing, or is it just me, and all the others that have no control over their legs? :spit:

Maybe we can join a club together...

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I'm always fidgeting with my legs whether I'm playing or not. Both legs are fidgeting as I type this...

As for bad habits.. I think one that I consider "bad" but is really more of a personal choice type thing - I have a tendency to want to look at my fretting hand (left) while I'm playing. Not a big deal, but I just think it looks a bit unprofessional if you do it too much.
    I try to limit it to quick glances and such but if we're playing a song or whatever and I lose focus, I'll catch myself doing that.

3. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    OH don't worry about that, you'll then be in the 'stuck up your own butt' club if you're looking around all the time! :smug:

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I play bass onstage. That's a pretty bad habit, especially if you've ever seen me do it!

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    well, the choice is either:
    a) my left hand, which I'm woefully too familiar with or
    b) some hot chick in tight jeans dancing in front of me

I'll take the chick, my hand and me are currently not talking to each other

:)

6. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    My right toe goes wild often when playing bass, it also starts going up and down.

7. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    You're the bass player in the band, get used to it :p

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I tend to be more of a toe-tapper than a stomp-up-and-dower.

9. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I have a tendency to limp a bit because of my bum foot, and sometimes on my bad days I have to sit on a stool while I'm playing. Considering the band I play for is a rock band, some people in the crowd find it annoying that the bassist isn't rocking out like the rest of the band.

Does that count?

10. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    it sounds like you need to see a doctor or sumthing, a rock band sitting down? That's never happened since the doors! :)

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I sat on a stool at the bar one night. The restrooms were disgusting! Luckily there was a BK lounge a little ways down the street.

12. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I saw Gene Simmons about it, but all he did was give me some white face paint and tell me my bass wasn't slung low enough...