1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bad neck fix?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassBob185, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    I've got a neck that I cant get all the bow out of. Not sure if you call it back or forward bow but the middle of the neck has too much space between the strings.

The truss rod will not tighten anymore. The problem is that I can't get the action as low as I want because the higher frets will buzz. Bridge adjustments are as good as I can get. Any recommendations or solutions?

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    the truss rod is maxed out, or are the threads stripped? if its maxed, loosen the nut and take it off, put a washer or 2 on the threads and tighten it up.

3. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    Its maxed and the nut is stripped

4. BassBob-
    There are ways to rethread the nut, but you have to have some special tools, patience, and a little bit of common sense. This leave me out.
    Check out the Steward McDonald site for guitar repair equipment. I've seen some instruction emails there about rethreading a stripped nut.
    If the nut is maxed out and stripped, you might have a bigger issue that needs a tech's evaluation. Depending on the value of your instrument, you might want to consider a new neck.