1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad string out of the box. Back to store or?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bumperbass, Oct 3, 2017.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I just put a new set of strings on last night. Right away I noticed the D string had a buzz. Not a fret buzz, just a twang buzz. So I adjusted the intonation and sure enough, I have the D string all the way forward on the bridge and it's still about an 1/8 step flat.
    So, what would you guys do? Get in the car, take it back to the store, wait for them to call the company and get me a new string, then drive back to pick it up, or would you just call the company to see if they'd send you a new one?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Well, depends on the brand and the store as to how it is handled... Feel free to message me... I work closely with pretty much everyone and would be happy to get you sorted.

/\/\3phist0 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  3. You could see if the store would set it up for you, stating that you bought it with the buzz. They might charge you, but if they're nice, they might do it free. It could also be the nature of the string, I've sometimes had a fizzy string when I have a new set of strings, or it could also be the nut, where the fizzy string rests. I don't know what your exact situation is however, like everyone else on here, so all of this is just guess work. But if your unsure, just ask the guys at the store you bought it from, they may be able to help you. But I hope it's a small problem rather than a big one, hope it gets sorted. :thumbsup:

4. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I'm a tech, so I set up all my stuff. I've changed my own strings since 1967 so I've bought, installed, and adjusted each time, and this is the first weird string problem I've ever had. It's the string.

5. tindrum

tindrum

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I had a totally dead E string on a pack of DR nickel Low Riders years ago. It refused to tune to ANY pitch. Just a thud. I emailed DR and they express shipped out a new complete set to me. Great customer service! I would imagine most good companies would do the same.

6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I got a labella string that was loosely wrapped at the ball end so wouldn't fit through my bridge. I emailed them the problem and photos and they mailed me a new string. I'm sure the string company will just mail you a new one. Heck, see if they'll mail you a set for your trouble. You needed those strings for a gig and we're put out when you had to buy a different set which you don't like ;)

7. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    They mailed a new string to me. Got it Saturday so was able to use the set on a gig. Good stuff.