Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BadAss vs. BadAss II

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by life.x, Jun 29, 2004.

1. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    i just bought the Bad Ass bridge, and sounds amazing but i was wondering how much better is the Bad Ass II bridge?
    :confused:

2. It's 10x better than the BadAss. Only posers buy the BA I. The BA I was recalled once because it would blow up basses. I used to own one but luckily I bought the BA II before something bad happened. I heard of a guy with a old EB3 Gibson that had his bridge burn the finish right off.

But you discovered all this when you researched and considered purchasing the BA I.

You DID ask these questions didn't you? :rollno:

3. well the badass I was made for gibson and epiphone basses like the gibson/epiphone eb-0 eb-2 and eb-3 and a couple of other basses, and the badassII was made for fender jazz a p basses. when i get my epiphone eb-3 i will replace the bridge to a badass I beacuse the bridges on the gibsons and epiphone or hoverd over the body and i really dont want that.

4. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    Ok, well since it's made outta zinc, like the Bad Ass 2, it could do that but the only reason that happened was because there were surges of electricity through the bass, probably from cheap ampilfiers or disfunctional amps. So why don't you hook up a few car batteries to the Bad Ass 2 and see what happens, the same thing burning and the powersurge to take out the electronics.

5. If you don't see the sarcasm in my post, well... :scowl: :rollno:

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

some people !!:rolleyes:

i don't know the difference between the original and the newer version , but i've had a Badass on my P- bass since 1976 ... i like it !! :cool:

7. life.x

life.x

Dec 21, 2003
    hamburg ny
    weell, then i'm sorry but computers don't have emotions....

I read other things on the site from you, and found them to be helpful, and that caught me off gaurd with that statement :meh:

8. Lifex, here's the whole point with my first post -

You bought a BA. It did exactly what it should have done and you like it. That's essentially it. Case closed. But after the fact, you asked how much "better" the BAII is. If it really meant anything to you, that is a question that should have been asked and answered well before you bought the BAI. The BAII isn't "better" - it doesn't "sound" better - it doesn't anchor the strings "better" it doesn't look "better" - it doesn't intonate "better". It's simply a slightly different version of the same bridge designed for a different application.

All I'm trying to point out is that one shouldn't be fooled with all of the hype that flies around about things like this. They didn't name one I and the other II because II was better than I.

And to clear the air - the "blowup" condition I described above is impossible to achieve. In fact, if you were to put enough current into the instrument to actually burn the body, you probably already be dead from touching any metal part of the body. Here, too, I wanted to point out the absurdity of the nature of the question.

I'm surprised no one called me on it. :)

9. Weaponofdoom

Weaponofdoom

Nov 20, 2007
    Fargo, ND
    Does the BA I work for short-scale as well? If someone has one around, could they be so kind to tell me the measurement from the two end saddles, groove to groove? Or do you file those ones yourself? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I've posted around a few other threads with not much luck. I have this short-scale 70's Kay EB copy that I acquired for free and the bridge is missing the saddles and want to just replace the whole thing. Thanks

10. Weaponofdoom

Weaponofdoom

Nov 20, 2007
    Fargo, ND
    PLEASE!!! anyone?

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Hear is a pic of both if it helps:
    [​IMG]

Yes you have to file the saddles. I have 3 BA I's on both short and long scale basses with no problems. The have less intonation travel and sit a bit higher off the bass. They also are more "rounded" to approximate a small radius but each saddle is still adjustable.

12. Weaponofdoom

Weaponofdoom

Nov 20, 2007
    Fargo, ND
    is there anyway you could take a measurement of the width of it? Also, I think the current bridge on my short scale EB copy is really small/skinny. The two outer grooves the strings go in are only 2" (a little less even) apart, does that seem really short-spaced?

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I thinkHofners are 2", I know Rics are and they've been retrofited with BA's for years. The difference is only 1/4 of an inch so I think by filing the slots a bit "in" you should be fine. If it doesn't work...I was never here.

...hides

14. Weaponofdoom

Weaponofdoom

Nov 20, 2007
    Fargo, ND
    awesome, I want to get a BA I, but just don't want to get one and find out it's not going to work out.

15. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    The BA I is good for basses with recessed neck angles (Gibsons) since the deck height is much higer. The BA II is meant for flat neck angles (Fenders).

Just to add to the confusion, I prefer the BA III. I think that is has the best of both worlds.