Bag End Q10X-D CONFUSED part 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I just bought this cab for $475 used. It seemed like a good deal but I am not sure. Sounds great, I was impressed when I heard it.

Anyhow, the plate on the back of the cab that you plug the cords into, it says " 4 ohms normal impadence" but this spec chart taken right from says that this model is 8 ohms. *** is that all about?

Bag End Q10X-D

Model: Q10X-D
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Continuous Sine Wave Power Handling: 800 W
    Peak Music Program Power Handling: 1600 W
    Sensitivity 1 Watt/1 Meter: 103 dB SPL
    Frequency Response: 50-20kHz
    Crossover Frequency 3.7kHz
    Parallel Input Connectors: 1/4", Banana, and Speakon
    Dimensions HxWxD (in inches): 27x22x12
    Net Weight (in pounds): 92
    Components: 3- E-10, 1-E-10X

The cab I own says its a "Q10X-D and 4ohms normal impadence" but above it says "impadence 8 ohms" what am I missing?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's really odd. i would say get or borrow a multimeter and test the impedance of the cab - it wont read exactly 4 or 8, there was a thread here somewhere about doing just that. anyhow, IIRC, bag end was anly using 8 ohm 10" drivers. when i asked they wouldnt make me an 8 ohm 210, so i'm wondering if that is some kind of typo or the cab was actually a special order. I'd call bag end up on this one as well, but definitly measure the impedance for yourself. my guess is it's an 8 ohm cab.
  3. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
  4. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Ok so I went to the guitarshop and had the guy test my cab. He said it it read 6 ohms with the multimeter and I should play it at a 4ohm setting.

My bag end Q10X-D 4x10 cab says "4 ohm nominal impedance" on it, but all the spec charts says its rated at 8 ohms.

It actually reads in at 6 - 7 ohms and the guy working at the shop who seemed very smart said to use it at 4 ohms.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Special_Ed, I'll defer to IvanMike on this one, but here's my understanding:

If the cab reads 6-7 ohms with a multimeter, that means it's an 8 ohm cab. The "DC" resistance of an 8 ohm speaker is usually exactly that, about 6.67 ohms.

My take is, "most" 4x10's are 8 ohms, unless they have "special" speakers. I'm aware that Bag End has made some custom cabs over the years, with special speakers, and is it possible either a) someone rewired the cab at some point, or b) the jack plate is just "incorrect" (ie it might have been put onto the wrong cab my mistake)?

If the meter reads 6-7 ohms, then it actually is an 8 ohm cab, and it should be used "as" an 8 ohm cab (ie with an amp that "likes" an 8 ohm load).

The other thought is, you might check the S/N with the folks at Bag End, they probably keep records on that kind of thing, and the people there are very helpful and accessible.
  6. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Bag End customer service is awsome. Very very quick resoponse.

IvanMike was right on the mark. Very knowledgable.

Here is the email.

Hi Jon,

A number of years ago there was a run of Q10X-Ds that got plates on
    that stated 4 Ohms instead of the correct 8 Ohm designation. This
    most likely be one of those. So therefore, your cab is indeed 8 Ohms
    (all other specs as mentioned are correct). If you would like, we will
    replace the entire jackplate with a new one at no charge and record
    the S/N in our records, where possible. Let me know if that is what
    want to do.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thought so.....
    glad to see that be was so cool about getting back to you. enjoy the cab, it's a rocker. just get a ruxxac folding hand truck or a cart-a-bag. it's a heavy one.