Bag End S15-N: Which Amp To Run This Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwangi, Mar 23, 2018.

1. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I'm really going INSANE trying to figure out which amp to go with my stand alone Bag End S15-N, the cabinet is a 8 ohm cab.
    These are the following I've researched into:

Aguilar AG700
    Euphonic Audio Iamp Doubler II
    EBS Reidmar 750
    EBS HD360
    Gallien Krueger 1001RB mark II
    Trickfish .5K

Seriously I'm not sure which one would be the ideal amp to go with, does any of the experts have an idea which would be the perfect pairing for a Bag End S15-N?

jwindham likes this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    You can use anything decent that can accommodate an 8 ohm cab and puts out about 300W as recommended on Bag End's data sheet for that cab. I'd think the ideal pairing would be whatever amp you really like the sound of. Adjusting the tone to get a killer sound out of the cab you use is what the EQ controls on your amp are for.

I've worked with Bag End cabs in the past. They work well with just about anything and sound exceptionally good. So I wouldn't worry about matching the amp to the cab in this case. Just use whatever amp you prefer.

3. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Try as many as you can. Only you know what you know what you're looking for, right.

4. jwindham

jwindham Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2006
    I haven't tried the Reidmar 750 or AG700 yet, but have played thru the GK 1001rb. The GK will definitely put of plenty of clean headroom with the GK character. Its a bit cleaner, more open than the 700rb II, which tends to grunt/compress sooner IMO. I like the 700rb tone, but the 1001rb just has a bit more headroom. To me, at 8ohms, the 1001rb is a better candidate for pushing more air/cleaner headroom (especially with a less efficient cab. That said, I ran a 700rb into an Ampeg Pf-210he once, which has pretty high efficiency for a sealed 210, and it seemed to be a nice match (loud and punchy). Though, when I tried running the 700rb with a single 8ohm Berg HDN112, I found the 700rb a touch short of headroom. At 4ohms, it would likely push plenty, but for a single 8ohm cab an amp that can put out more wattage I find helpful for getting a fuller sound. These are generalities, but I'd definitely recommend trying a few out if you can. Most companies, within reason and with good intent, are flexible enough to accept returns. I have also scheduled road trips, or made time on the occasional vacation to visit some nice music stores that carry a bigger variety of bass gear. Its always good to call ahead. Typically, if they know your planning to visit, they can try to ensure they have some things ready to check out.

jeff7bass likes this.
  5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    When I had my S-15D I powered it with a GK MB500 Fusion, I found it to be a great pairing.

Sadly I no longer have the Bag End, or the GK for that matter. I do though have the Trickfish .5K... I can confidently say that my amp GAS has been cured. These are fantastic amps.

6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Huntsville
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    The GK/Bag End combo is a classic pairing!

7. Eden wt-300?

8. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Mesa Subway D800 would be an ideal match, and you'll get a top quality, made in the USA amp with the best warranty in the business.

Bassdirty likes this.
  9. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    I've used them for decades and they are great cabs but you need to be mindful not to underpower them or rely on the "gain" setting for volume. The speaker will "blow" if you underpower it so keep your master volume up and your gain below the redline.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Thank you for pointing that out. I completely forgot about that little wrinkle. :)

freshbass likes this.
  11. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    I run 1 or 2 s15D (earlier version) w/ an eden WT-400+ . Killer sound, worlds loudest B15. Many guys use GK 800rb. BTW where the heck did u buy the S15-N? I cannot find them anywhere.

12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Any amp will work great.
    I have a Bag End S-15 and I use either my TC RH450
    or my GK MB500 or my Eden 300.

13. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    S15-N Musical Instrument Loudspeaker

You can buy them direct from Bag End.

freshbass and BasturdBlaster like this.
  14. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
  15. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    Any clean Amp that can run 300 watts at 8 ohms. I've owned these for years and 2 decades ago I discovered there's 1 thing NOT to do w/ them: They have a very high sens rating at 103db's and diming gain and lowering volume master to add distortion will blow the speaker. They have to be run w/ full power. BTW bag and replaced the cab I blew even tho it was my own ignorance of this issue that caused it to fail. I've run them w/ a GK 800RB and an Eden traveler 400+. If I were going to run them today I'd likely use a GK (MB500?) because the boost control will add growl at any volume at will so you do't need to play the gain structure game. + I liken the tone w/ a good amp and simple eq as the loudest B15 you can buy. (I hate tweeters in bass cabs)

16. I’ve been rocking the GK 800rb/S15-D combo for a couple months now. Fantastic pairing for my money. I have a 700rb but I haven’t had the chance to use it with the bag ends but I can’t imagine that it would be anything less than killer.

17. Rad! This is what I'm thinking of running: Bag End S15-N with a Markbass Tube 800w. Chasing the dream tone...

18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    "Back In The Day" it seemed like every Bag End cabinet was paired with a Walter Woods head. That would still be an awesome sounding rig these days, but I'm not sure I'd advise anyone to buy a new WW head in 2019.

19. Tenorguy

Tenorguy

Dec 24, 2009
    IL
    I use a single S15-b and a W.W. absolutely killer. I have two W.W. Both MI 400 power sections a 1990 and the new electroacoustic 2019. Walter is doing quite well and obviously I didn’t hesitate to buy the second one. They are by far the most well thought out amps made. If you can try one.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2022