1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bag End S15D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beardsley, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Beardsley

Beardsley

Sep 5, 2016
    So I've been doing quite a bit of research on the Bag End S15D. They seem to get mostly praise here on TB. I'm about 92% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on 2 of them for a nice stack. That being said I have some questions.

First, I've seen power ratings from 200w to 300w on these cabs, can anyone confirm the actual rating?

Second, I'm currently using a Peavey Headliner 1000 (which is basically used for it's EQ, as I run through a Sansamp paradriver V2) and I get the feeling this will be way too much power, especially if I have a gig where I only need one cabinet. What are your thoughts on this power situation and if it ends up being too much power then I guess I'll be in the market for a new amp head, probably 600w-800w?

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    others may disagree, but I'm a fan of using larger amps than cabs are rated for. WITH COMMON SENSE of course. Its easy to overpower the cabs and damage drivers if you have unreasonable expectations, but I find at almost any given volume level I prefer the performance of larger amps, with their greater dynamic range and usable headroom.

All that said, the S15D's are awesome cabs. pretty steep cutoff of low lows, and no tweeter, so its a lot of midrange texture, but in the best possible way. theyre not anemic or dull up top, but compared to other cabs, they have less lows and highs, which i see as a good thing, and partly how they were designed to fill a niche in the cab world.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Maybe @BassmanPaul might stop by and wax poetic on your topic.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Beardsley

Beardsley

Sep 5, 2016
    Do I need to conduct a ritual to summon him?

4-stringB and Al T. like this.
  5. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Yes.

7. Beardsley

Beardsley

Sep 5, 2016
  8. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Keep an eye out for used, my S15LXD/S12 stack was well under $500.

9. Beardsley

Beardsley

Sep 5, 2016
    There is currently a used s15d on reverb but I'm skeptical because the speaker has been replaced with an Eminence cb15. Not sure how much that will affect sound/efficiency, etc.

10. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I would stick with a S15D with the stock speaker, as its a pretty specific application and tone profile.

Brad Johnson and Jeff Bonny like this.
  11. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    unless you can get it cheap enough that you could buy it and a new driver from Bag End and still come out ahead.

Brad Johnson likes this.
  12. Beardsley

Beardsley

Sep 5, 2016
    There what I was thinking.ill have to contact Bag End to see how much for a replacement speaker.

13. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Check the used prices. They usually are approximately $100 more than an S15-D but really expand the sound of the stack.

A Bag End Replacement speaker will cost as much as an entire used cabinet. And if you replace the speaker with another brand, you will not have the Bag End sound. They use proprietary speakers.

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  14. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    Keep your eyes peeled on used sites. They're not super common, but I've found both the regular 15 and the X-D models at stupid low prices before. Patience, though not much fun, can really pay off.

As far as wattage, I've found they can take quite a bit more than they're rated at. I've done a few gigs recently with a single X-D powered by my GK MBF-800. You DO need to listen to what the cabs telling you though.

wave rider, GroovyBaby and Beardsley like this.
  15. I think there's more to the risk than common sense, but I agree and would rather size a bass amp to never operate at more than 60% of its max power. Its still not apparent to me if there is a risk of using an undersized amp and bass speaker damage, but is a risk with some other speakers.

16. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    This is why I never liked them.

17. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    They were awesome in pairs with a 400rb and a 4-string, really wrung out all the overtones when you dimed the amp.

18. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I run a bag stack with a Genz 900 watt no problem. Used is the ticket as they are heavy and people want light.

Pocket4 likes this.
  19. briandavismurph

briandavismurph Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    I use a S15 and S12 stack. The S12 was reloaded with Eminence 3012L Kappalite. Powered with GK MB500 and the setup is punchy and loud. If you have any questions about power handling just call Bag End, they are super friendly and helpful.
    BTW my S15 is from 1981 and has been to hundreds of gigs, still uses the original Bag End driver which I believe is spec'd by Bag End produced by Eminence.
    IMG_1725.JPG

Pocket4 and neal davis like this.
  20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

You can upgrade to Bag End Neo Drivers if you want to spend the additional $$

I’ve been used Bag End 15 cabs for a very long time. Eden Wt550-GK 400/8ooRB- Mesa D800 and Walkabout.. all great results..
    My current main rig is Walkabout and 2 x S15D with neo drivers..perfect power for my needs.

wave rider likes this.