Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baggs Para Acoustic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Can the Baggs Para Acoustic DI drive a power amp on it's own?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Baggs doesn't spec maximum output level, they only spec overall preamp gain (with max being 24 dB).

I think it will depend on WHAT power amp you're talking about. I've never tried to use mine for that purpose.

3. poalf

poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    I don't expect it will work. I tried the Fishman Pro Platinum directly into a Crown XLS and there wasn't enough gain. I think those DI/Preamp only get it up to mic level (DI) or instrument level (1/4" out).

On the other hand, if you're plugging into a combo amp or bass head with a preamp built it should work fine.

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Thanks, I didn't really think it would work either but I thought I'd ask. I tryed it with a pro platinum and didn't get enough gain out of either.

Kevinlee

5. poalf

poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    you might try just a cheap mixer (Behringer ($60) or Yamaha ($99) from Musicians Friend). and a $40 DI (or Paracoustic or Platinum Pro, they're certainly be better but more $$$). I'm quite sure that would work.