Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Balanced out = DI? Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rowka, May 4, 2005.

1. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have an old Carvin 300 watt head (1986), that is really pretty decent. Carvin was making some nice stuff back then.

Only weakness is its DI output, if it is even a DI output.

I've tried to connect this to a PA board with poor results. It is a standard 3-pin XLR labled "Balanced Output." The signal level to this output is controlled by the front panel volume knob that also controls the speaker output.
    The problem is that this signal is very hot for the PA.
    With the PA input gain at minimum it clips long before the speaker volume is at an acceptable level.
    Any ideas on a work around or modification? I'd love a buffered DI with an independant level control. I'd buld it if I knew how to design it.

2. I used the Carvin PB500 head for many years going directly
    from the balanced out(xlr) to the board in live situations
    with no trouble at all.

Maybe it needs to be checked out by a tech? After so many
    years, I had to have mine serviced, but for other reasons.

Just a thought. Maybe you could go xlr out to another DI?
    One with a level control?

3. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I did a little searching for this but couldn't find anything like that.

4. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

5. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I don't do a lot of DIing. Everytime I do, the amp's built in DI produces too much hum.

A lot of TalkBassers rant and rave about the SansAmp DI (which is also considered as an effect unit).

I use to have a Countryman DI (http://www.countryman.com/html_data_sheets/t85data.html) which was great.

6. Is there no "pad" facility on your desk whereby you can "cool" the incoming signal from your Carvin by the usual 10 or 20 db? I don't recall seeing a desk that didn't do that - at least not in recent years. :meh:

7. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    No. There is an input gain that is set on minimum. It seems that what I have is NOT a DI, but a balanced preamp out. What's the use in that? Unless I'm gonna feed another power amp?

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Start here: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/apps_sc.html

The folks at Jensen are famous for helping out with further info, should you need any.