1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band mini rant

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DWBass, Oct 31, 2010.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You ever been part of a band that's actually doing moderately well gig and money wise but the musicians just suck?? I'm only in this thing for the money as I'm not having much (if any) fun! Am I basically just a perfectionist?? The keyboardist has timing issues and always needs a count! The drummer is extremely busy (to the point of annoyance) and occasionally misses a beat. Last night he actually forgot the groove to Moondance! Really?!?! He also plays these crazy drum rolls and quite often misses the '1' when coming back in. I just can't lock in with him and I don't think he even cares! He doesn't act like a professional with all his verbal complaints throughout the evening! Ugh! The guitarist is new (only been 2 weeks) so the jury is still out on him. Even still, drummer complained about him and picked on him all night at last nights gig! Despite all this, we continue to get booked (by an agent) for some decent money ($1000-$3000) gigs and the clients seems to love us (they probably are oblivious to all the gaffs and BS throughout the evening)!!

:rollno::rollno::rollno:

I just can't give up the money! Ok, mini rant over!

2. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I was in a band that sucked but we financially were doing well and we had a great time together. We played the right tunes and we had good stage presence. It seems the better I got and the better bands I played in then the less money I made!!! This was back in the 70's.

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Girl with "big-boobs" in front?....That's what gets the mileage nowdays.

4. Obe

Obe

May 15, 2005
    Springfield MA area
    Wow, for that kind of money I could put up with a lot. Maybe get in another band that is more musically satisfying, if you have the time? Also, do you have any videos?

5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Uh, could I get the name of your agent?

6. All the way to the bank. $1k - $3k a gig? Seriously? How many in the band? What's your take? How often do you play?

+1 to finding another band to keep you "happy."

Sounds like you're in a relatively lucrative business. Your partners are, well, odd. How long can you stand making less than perfect music, making what seems to be good $$, with nutjobs? See paragraph 1.

If the happiness band works out better, there you go! :bassist:

Just my $.02

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

More Music Group/ Virginia Beach, VA

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

This is actually a much better performance. Seems we've gone downhill from this.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

We've had about 5 gigs so far and the calendar is filling up fast. 5 gigs in December so far. About 6 gigs on the books for 2011 already. 6 folks in the band. We pay for a soundman and the agent takes a small %. What's left is still pretty decent for everyone. No complaints about the money. It's the only reason I'm still there!

Yeah, we don't do the bar/club scene. Private parties, Weddings, Corporate functions, etc. with the exception of our first one which was in a bar for $600 (just to get out there and be seen).

10. I would suck it up and keep jamming with this band. They appear to be pretty commercial and the type of band that appeals to the corporate crowd. Maybe try to sandpaper some of the rough edges during rehearsals. Also I recommend putting together a side project with better musicians to play music you love just for FUN!!! Don't worry about pay, gigs or popularity.......the second project is for FUN to get your musical rocks off. Treat the first band like a job you have to do even though some of your co-workers aren't professionals ......just like the real world. Being in the gigging band will help you network for your FUN project.

11. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    For that kinda money I'd just deal with it. Get a side project if you've got the time.

I just noticed we're practically neighbors. If you ever need a sub, shoot me a PM!

12. So the 3000 figure is what you're getting at New Year's and the rest of the time it's 1000?

Woofer might not be so keen on your job if that's the case.

13. The singers sound great. It's a sad fact that the general public will judge a band on the singers. You may be so used to hearing them that you don't notice it any more.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    This clip sounds great to me. However, if being in the band for *you* is a downer, I'd look into something else. If you're a slave to the payday then its not much different than a real J.o.b.

15. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    Sub gig's better than no gig that I've got right now.

Back OT, as long as the crowd's diggin' it and you're getting paid I'd probably just grit my teeth and go with it, while keeping my feelers out for a better gig. If you're really (one of) the only one(s) in the group that's really got their act together, I'm sure someone will offer you a slot in a more professional unit.

Good luck getting this sorted, it's never easy to put on a happy face when you're dealing with this garbage...

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh no, my friend! This past Saturday's gig was a $3k one and we have 2 more in December. A few more next year as well. It mostly depends on the clients (mostly folks with MONEY)! We're looking to move that up to the $4k-$5k area next year! Despite the skills of the musicians in the band, we're still one of the better and fresher bands in the area! I may just be expecting too much outta these guys. I'm just used to playing with a much better class of musicians! But hey, if the clients love us and the agent continues to book us.......I'm playing. I need the money! I will find a side gig with good musicians to keep the chops up!

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree. We do have a pretty good vocal unit (including me ;) ). And it does seem to overshadow the 'bad stuff'.

18. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    Uh-h-h Me TOO !:hyper:

19. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Gracias, Senor. The video you posted actually had a pretty good groove. Believe I'd stick it out til something better comes along.

It's always a fine line for me when I'm not happy with the way things are sounding. I usually want to be direct and say something, but I find it usually works best when I keep my mouth shut, compliment when someone does something I like and generally try to keep a good vibe within the group. Sometimes voicing dissatisfaction can lead to bad juju. It's hard to groove in the midst of bad juju. In music, good juju is sometimes better than perfect musicianship.

Regards,

Les

20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I've surprised myself at how much I'll compromise my musical integrity for a nice payday ... ;) ... Like any another profession, being a musician is sometimes just work.