1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band Website

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Masamax, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hey guys, just looking for some feedback on my band's recently revamped website. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

http://www.solipsismband.com

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I like it... it looks great, easy to navigate and such.

But:

1.) I hate sites with music I cannot kill
    2.) as a webguy I hate frames... most servers offer php. a simple include makes my life easier.
    3.) also as a webguy I like linked style sheets instead of embedding on each page... easier to edit.

3. Wm. E. Evans

Wm. E. Evans

Jul 19, 2007
    Southeast PA
    +1. You can have a page with media samples on it; much less intrusive.

I like the graphic design.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

You can.......look in the very bottom left corner of your browser. :rolleyes:

5. Yeah. There's a player at the bottom. It's just not that noticeable.

I think the site is cool and you guys did a good job. Love the illustration. Some nitpicky things I would have done:

- Add a little more negative space (aka whitespace) in the boxes so the text has a little more of a margin. It makes for easier reading and looks better. I can't tell you how much though. I just eyeball it whenever I do this stuff.

- While it looks cool, the player isn't as intuitive as it should be. I was able to figure it out, but I had to pause for a second to find out where it was coming from. Also the dragging took a few seconds to figure out, and this is coming from a guy who has been in web design for almost 10 years. A few seconds may not seem like much, but the human attention span is very short, and it'll be a little longer for non-web geeks.

If it were my band's site I'd just offer all of the songs to download on the media page rather than just streaming them directly. It's the most user friendly option and allows people to put the songs on their music players, which may help spread the word about your band.

- It'd be nice to add a contact form in the contact area along with the email address. Again it's a usability thing. Make it as simple and friendly to your viewers as possible, no matter how lazy.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I see that now... but I looked last night and don't believe it was there. Maybe I missed it, but it wasn't for not looking.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Love the copyright! Liked the site, nice graphics and no iritating flash. I can't find the player though.

8. I'm trying different things with the player right now. Ideally what I want is a pop up window that opens with the player so it's more obvious, but most people have pop ups blocked, and that wouldn't work. I may incorporate a link somewhere (as I am not a huge fan of frames OR auto-play music either, was just a stop-gap measure till I figured something better out).

Thanks for the comments though guys.