Bandmate angry about my choice in playing style

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SMILEYSIXX, Mar 21, 2011.

1. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    The lead guitarist and I (really the only two who make the major band decisions) have decided that me playing slap bass sounds great and that is the style I'm writing most of my music with. The rhythm guitarist, after finding this out, basically threw a hissy fit, saying "playing only slap would be like me only playing triplets". What would be the appropriate way to handle this because the lead and I both really like slap bass and I, as the bassist (who should be the one making decisions about my own instrument) would prefer slapping because our band sounds good with it. How to handle this?

2. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    His analogy is awful ( unless you only play slap bass in triplets ). Ultimately it only matters what you guys come up with as a solution.

I would have him try and voice his concerns a little more constructively and go from there.

3. fjbass78

fjbass78

Jun 21, 2007
    Indiana
    Why limit yourself to only slap bass, but that's your choice, i guess.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's actually more like him playing only with a pick...
    :D

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Serve the song.

6. twbassman

twbassman

Jul 16, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    You're the bassist, right? Play how you like it. Tell the guitarist to stick to the guitar.

Good luck.

7. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Exactly what I said :p I told him when he writes a song using only his fingers like a classical guitar, he can talk down to me :spit:

And about limiting myself to only slap, it's not ONLY slap but that is my main focus. I use my fingers quite a bit also.

8. AlexKralles

AlexKralles

Jan 13, 2011
    +1

Play slap when appropriate. Tap when appropriate. And pick when appropriate (never haha)

9. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Very often, slap bass matches our music and sits very well. When it doesn't I'll go to fingers.

10. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Sounds like the phrase "musical differences" will be rearing it's head soon. A band can compromise on certain things and still be together. If two people are not seeing eye to eye on playing style usually it leads to one of them leaving. Did you always play slap or did it evolve over time? Is it common in your style of music? Not that is has to be, but there's a reason you don't hear a lot of country bassist slap. Not that they couldn't, but that syle of music doesn't call for it. This may be something you can work out as a band, or not.

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Playing *only* slap *would* be silly. Slap is not for everything.

12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Tell him to go learn some new chords. :p

A rhythm guitarist calling out a bass player. That's a new one on me.

13. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I finger a lot, and often I break into slapping. He's the newest member, by the way. We play metal, so it's admittedly not common, but seeing as how it sounds good with us (everyone who has heard us likes it) and I do it a lot, his disdain seems a bit unwarranted.

Side note: talked to the drummer and he loves the idea of more slapping too.

14. MysterMunky

MysterMunky

Jan 14, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Since you can play with your fingers (and maybe with a pick) you have options. Next time this comes up, play the song/section that the guitarist is griping about with slap, fingers and pick. Then put it up for vote in your band. If you and the lead like it, you already have a 2-1 advantage. Screw him with democracy!

15. MysterMunky

MysterMunky

Jan 14, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Sweet! 3 to 1!

16. Rockmusician

Rockmusician Inactive

Personally, I hate slapping. It has become cliche. Everybody tries to do it because they think it sounds impressive. The truth is, the best way to sound impressive is to play what is right for the song. It's obvious that the rhythm player thinks you slap too much. It's possible that everyone else feels the same way but is afraid to speak up. If you are having issues with band members not liking your style, maybe you should find a band that wants slapping every song.

17. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    As a primarily country slap player I take offense at this comment.

Just kidding.

18. I finger a lot, and often I break into slapping. He's the newest member, by the way.
    You guys are DEFINITELY heading into uncharted waters...should be very interesting.

19. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    I,m with Harry...

20. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I would change if it was necessary, but the other members like it, as does most other people who have heard our music. I'm not looking for this to become a debate as to whether or not slap is "cliche".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021