Bands with more than one bass player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Johnny Fingers, Jun 18, 2021.

1. We know of groups with two drummers, several guitar players, keyboards, horns, and singers. But are there any with two bass players? One could low ball and the other could treble out so as not to make it a Mud Run. Double double bass orchestra players at In N Out doable?

2. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    There are answers to be had, as I’ve seen this topic discussed before. However, the satirical band Spinal Tap all play bass on their track “Big Bottom.”

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Band with two bass players

Not mentioned in any of that are two recordings(only, not a regular band line-up)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    MarkA and Johnny Fingers like this.
  4. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

My 50 person ukulele group has two bass uke players, me and Tom. I sit on one side, he sits on the other. Although we don't play exactly the same licks, we complement each other. It's also a benefit when one of us can't make rehearsal. When we play smaller rehearsals or gigs, we trade off, one plays bass uke, the other ukulele. We've been doing that lately with the group starting to get together again.

Every other Wednesday I play bass in the backyard of one member, he plays uke, and every other Sunday on the big open patio of a local sandwich shop, he plays bass and I play uke. We've also been doing Zoom sessions since covid every Monday afternoon and Thursday morning when we both play bass, but obviously we only hear ourselves and our leader hosting the sessions.

5. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    For one tour, Frank Zappa used what was 2 quartets. Basses were one fretted (Arthur Barrow) and one fretless (Patrick O’Hern).

6. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin

Plake, Zenbassie, gyppo and 25 others like this.
  7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ronald Shannon Jackson's Decoding Society, with Melvin Gibbs and Reverend Bruce Johnson on bass, has always been the pinnacle of two-bass bands for me. Pretty sure that lineup was based on (or influenced by) Ornette Coleman's Prime Time band, with Al McDowell and Jamaaladeen Tacuma on bass.

One could argue that the double-trio incarnation of King Crimson circa 1995, with Tony Levin on bass & Stick and Trey Gunn on Warr guitar, was a "band with more than one bass player" although Gunn seemed to gravitate more towards sonic textures than basslines per se.

I played in Ken Vandermark's Mr. Furious project, which featured Nate McBride on upright bass and me on electric bass. And I was a charter member of Mass Eye & Ear, Dave Gross' improvising big band, which at times had three bass players!

InceVay, Roger W, RyanKinBK and 5 others like this.
  8. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Some iterations of King Crimson and Golden Palaminos are the only ones that come to mind for me. Sure ther3 are more.

Eli_Kyiv, Johnny Fingers and Dabndug like this.
  9. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Evil Blizzard have 3 bass players IIRC

EDIT 4 bass players!

Rubber5oul and Johnny Fingers like this.
  10. Swamp_Ronin

Swamp_Ronin

Jan 15, 2021
    Portland, OR
    Needles and Pins by deftones is recorded with two basses instead of guitar.

dumpstaphunk has two bass players.

overall, it’s not a good idea. Not enough room for the frequencies.

Danny C, ToneMonkey, Loring and 10 others like this.
  11. Acidic Pool

Acidic Pool

Feb 16, 2021
    Check out The Dirtbombs. Turn of the millenium garage-rock revival but with a Detroit soul edge, and there's two bass players: one on, uh, regular bass, and the other on fuzz bass. It actually works pretty well. Also two drummers sometimes I think?

12. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Talking Heads lineup included Tina Weymouth and Busta Jones for the Remain in Light tour.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    One of the times I saw Brian Bromberg (in the early '90s) he had a second bassist with him.

In 2012 I saw the first show of the first tour of SMV (three, sort of, well known bassists).

ahc, rmayer, PaulS and 1 other person like this.
  14. I think some Beatles tracks had bass 4 and bass 6 at the same time. In another realm check Youtube for "Bad Boyz of Bass".

Johnny Fingers and Winoman like this.
  15. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    These guys:

16. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    ... Two ? How about three ?

Cheating a bit, Simon Grove is a guest there, but still...

17. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    This thread needs a picture of the inimitable Ko Melina rocking that Musicmaster, 50% of the DB’s low end. And yes, two drummers.
    upload_2021-6-18_18-2-30.jpeg

Bajo Clarkko, 4SG and Johnny Fingers like this.
  18. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

The Dixie Dregs did it back in 2009 at the House Of Blues.
    Dave LaRue and Any West on stage.
    (Sorry about the bad quality)

19. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Hugo Largo had two bassists and no drummer.

20. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    This thread needs a Dirtbombs video:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021