1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bands with mutiple bassists?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by paradigm_shift, Jun 9, 2007.

1. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Anyone know any recordings that I could check out?
    I'm just wondering if anyones ever successfully done it, I'm talking any bass style, slap and finger,pick, heck even upright and electric. Not playing the same line but as different instruments, as a lead or coutermelody

Anything really..

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Lou Reed - Take a Walk On The Wild Side
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin

3. juan_caliente

juan_caliente

May 21, 2006
    The band Molotov has two bass players, one usually plays clean and the other with effects/distortion.

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You talking recording or live. Recording its done all the time especially recording by bass players as leaders. They will lay down mulitple parts of varying complexity and timbre.

Live again look at bass players as leaders. Victor Wooten use two to three bass players. Frees him up from holding down the bottom to play other things. Meshell Nedgeocello on live and recording mulitple bass players and parts. Marcus will do it once in a while. It's not common, but done for years. Plus keyboard bass and bass together goes on a lot. Hard part is finding two players who can work together, think like arrangers, and stay out of each others way.

5. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007

I'm talking both.But I really want to see/ be able to hear them.I dont want to just hear someone effectively playing an overdub.Two distinct voicings, without standing on each others toes.

6. There have been numerous threads on this topic. Search this forum and Bassists, and you'll find a lot of discussion of two-bass bands. I'd recommend checking out Ned's Atomic Dustbin, particularly the album "God Fodder."

7. Try this brilliant album by Ornette Coleman 'Virgin Beauty' - two bassists playing some funky free-ish jazz:

One of my fave jazz albums

M

8. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Willie Nelson's band used to have to bassists. Don't know if this is still the case.

9. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Bass extremes, this clip is ridiculous. Steve is out of control!!!

10. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY

11. Almost all old "Big Band / Jazz" from the 20's, 30's, and 40's had 2 bass players. Some of them even had 3 or 4 bass players. It was mostly done for a bigger sound, but it was usually different parts or splitting parts. If you were in band in highschool and remember 1st / 2nd / 3rd / 4th chair and so on, usually 1-3 played one part 4-6 played one part and 7-9 played one part. At some points in the song these parts overlapped, but was usually varied some.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

13. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    James Brown had 2 bass players and 2 drummers on stage at the same time :)

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'm being lazy, just giving a tease. There are zillions of other successful examples.
    Gary Burton: Passengers. Eberhard Weber on EUB, Steve Swallow on BG.
    Ornette Coleman: Free Jazz, many others.
    Talking Heads: The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads
    Jack Dejohnette: Album Album, Rufus Reid, URB; Howard Johnson, tuba.
    Pharoah Sanders: Live At The East, Stanley Clarke, URB; Cecil McBee, URB

Other guys I've seen do it live exceptionally well include Sun Ra, Stanley Clarke, Mingus, Willie Dixon, Vic Wooten, and the late-80s Miles band with Foley on lead bass. Ornette's mid-80s band was probably my favorite, but good luck finding those albums.;)

15. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The lastest David Liebman 'Back On The Corner' has Anthony Jackson and Liebman's regular bassist Tony Marino. Along with Passinwind's Ornette Coleman suggestions you can check out Ronald Shannon Jackson's Decoding Society, he always had two bassist, and on the early albums it was the great Melvin Gibbs and Bruce Johnson.

The Ornette and Decoding Society albums are also a great antidote for any happy-gurlmon-smooth jazz overindulgence.;)

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

:)

17. spinal tap

18. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Does Steve Bailey use his ring finger to pluck?

19. James Brown???

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021