Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bar Attendance in CT . . .

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Apr 5, 2004.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Last weekend was the first weekend of the new no smoking in bars law in CT. The 2 places I went were almost empty. Did anyone else notice this?

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Nope - our city banned smoking in bars since 2001. Business is booming. People adapt.

Maybe it was the weather???

BTW - I played a two night gig this weekend in another city w/o smoking ban - I damn near died.....

DD

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    They started it recently here in Pierce County as well. I love it. We go out more now.

-Mike

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

that has happened here as well, people get used to it, they come back. It's better for me, as I don't smoke.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    This whole banning smoking thing boggles my mind. Passive smoke is relatively harmless. I can see banning cigarette smoking, but for the connoisseurs of fine tobacco, it kinda sucks.

6. I'd like you to prove that.

7. And I'll add that I posted that in a total non-confrontational way, just comments like that irk me.

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared/readmore.asp?sNav=nr&id=386

etc., etc.

I'm bracing myself for the "statistics are just numbers" argument...

:bag: :D
    Edit: I could find more, but you could just google second hand smoke myths. You'll come up with more anti-smoking hits (I'd guess 15:1). But my point is, it is very easy to manipulate data and pass them off as scientific studies to get numbers you want. This has been done to an almost sickening level with secondhand smoke. I think we can agree smoking is harmful to the smoker, but exposure to secondhand smoke just means that you'll have to do your laundry more often.
    This is a book I've read for one of my stat classes, not really on subject, but it's a great resource if you read a lot of numbers...

9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Is that a place for "our" government to decide?

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    How 'bout the "Fraser Institute is a hardcore rightwing thinktank funded by major private corporations including those in the tobacco industry" argument?

DD

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Considered, but now my only reply is:
    "in before the close."

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    :D :D :D

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    half an hour standing over a charcoal bbq is the equivalent of passive smoking for 10 hours a day for 3 weeks.

we know this to be true, boris johnson said it on tv last night.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    A 16 oz. well done steak on the grill has more carcinogens than 100 packs of cigarettes.

But unlike cigarettes, one can choose not to eat a steak, whereas with smoking the smoke is all around you.

One question though...do smokers get a double dose of it? I mean they are smoking AND they are sitting in the second hand smoke.

In truth, second hand smoke damage is minimal to a non-smoker compared to a smoker who inhales it directly off the cigarette. I don't smoke any more. I quit...but it doesn't bother me what others choose to do. One thing is for sure...the old down and dirty blues bars are becoming a thing of the past as they are being replaced with hip, trendy, non-smoking, non alcoholic fern bars. Wusses.

Any place that doesn't serve alcohol, allow smoking and have some kick-ass music going on is a place I'd rather not play in.

The sixties were great in that we really learned how government worked. Unfortunately, now anyone with an issue and enough money can get laws passed to stop (insert your favorite complaint here).

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    the steak comprison is somewhat meaningless when one takes into account deliver method, GI track vs. lungs. Oh yeah IBTL. :D

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Excellent, I agree Mr.SMASH.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I will leave my opinions on the laws out of this but say:

People will return to the bars. I watched it happen in California. It's a process: These laws pass, people whine, some refuse to go to bars, some bars allow smoking anyway, said bars get fined, bars finally concede, patrons concede, life goes on, everyone is healthier.

18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Salut! :D

I'm all for it as well. I was just making an observation. I overheard people complaining that now they can't smoke with their drink (inside) and they can't drink with their smoke (outside). How ironic is that?

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It's cool, I agree with that too.

20. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Sigh. I suppose we should consider outlawing more things based on likes and dislikes...