1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bar Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Some of the places we play sometimes are pretty pack, last Sat. are guitar players guitar got turn over and dented up a little. I dont want that to happen to my USA p-bass which is cherry. Anyway I saw this Bass by Epiphone which isnt made know more,called a power Bass not a Power Bass II but this one looks sort strat body a gibson explorer guitar headstock and instead of just saying Epiphone on it, it has written on Epiphone by Gibson on the headstock in bold black letters and has a PJ pickup config. Has anyone heard of these. Its in Mint condition and I have some seymour duncan pick ups to put in it both Pand J pickups. Are they worth anything the guy wants 200 bucks for it. Thanks

2. Worth $200 easy.

3. For what we play 4 strings are plenty

4. Probably worth $200 but not more than that. They are OK basses but not great.

But that aside, I don't think you should worry about the bass. No bass stays perfect forever and if you guard it too much you aren't playing it which is what you bought it for.

I take my Fullerton Fender Reissue to the bar as well as my newer Fenders.

5. To clarify I mean when I PLAY at a bar. I don't just randomly take my basses to the bars.

6. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Like on a Date?

7. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    huked on fonix man

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I had one of those Power basses about 15 years ago with the same headstock and P/J pickups . They are made of plywood ,not a solid wood body . I had to adjust the setup on mine about every two weeks , the neck on mine wouldn't stay stable . It sounded alright but nothing special . I'd look at an SX PJ bass for about half the money . Good solid woods and good sounding pickups , the pickups you have would probably fit in it too . Epiphone makes some nice guitars and basses but the Power Bass wasn't one of their finer efforts .

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I totally concur with what BB posted. My friend had one, all black, pointed headstock, and we replaced the pickups, they were a bit thin sounding. For $200, there are better choices.

10. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Look for an older Peavey Fury. Jazz neck with precision pickups. Killer sound and you can find good ones for less than you are going to pay for the Epiphone.

USA made bass (the older ones) with an excellent rep for being great sounding, dead-reliable basses.

11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Too much $$$ for too little bass.

I agree with the Peavey Fury. Or the Foundation. Or Dyna Bass.

Other ones to look for are MIM Fenders. You can sometimes find them in the $200 and under price range.

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    +1

13. The Lowe Down

The Lowe Down

Feb 28, 2010
    Isanti, MN
    If you like your Fender, go buy a Squier. They are in that same price range and are surprisingly nice to play. The bridges are cheap and the tuners aren't awesome, but the pups in the new ones are decent and I love the necks. For 200-250 you won't lose sleep if it gets trashed. I actually prefer the Squier J over the $1k Fender models right now.

14. I think I will look at a squire are a mex, I just went tru my tool box and found an old set of Seymour Duncan pickups for a P bass. I was going to put them in a Mex Bass but I traded it for my USA P bass. But the other guy is right I did buy that Bass to play but it sure is pretty

15. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    huh?